Dam around water heater and sump pump
My basement is getting finished and I realized we didn't put drain pans under the water heaters. I could add those back in, but I was also looking at the water softener and sump pump and sewage pump as possible places for water leaks. I am considering building a dam with bricks or something like that around this whole corner of my basement. I have two preheat tanks for the geothermal, two water heaters (in case the geothermal isn't on) and a sump pit, sewage pit, and my water softener. In another corner of the basement is my water pump and pressure tank.

I could take some bricks and glue them to the concrete and fill in with mortar or something like that, but how would I seal it? Is there anything here I am not considering? Drain pans are an option too, but they don't solve the sump pit or sewage pit problem.

My sewage ejection pit is sealed, but it isn't caulked or anything like that. If the sump pump failed would enough water seep in around the lid to keep it from backing up? I don't think I get a lot of foundation water in there, but the sump pump kicks on every hour or so. The dehumidifier, condensate lines from the AC, and water softener all discharge into the sump pit also, so it's hard to tell whether the water comes from outside or inside.
Mike

Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I don't know what your basement layout is but if you are seriously considering a dam, you should form and pour a proper curb. Make it wide enough that you can frame a wall on it if you want to later. It will be easier than laying multiple courses of bricks.
Estrogen Hostage said:

I don't think I get a lot of foundation water in there, but the sump pump kicks on every hour or so. The dehumidifier, condensate lines from the AC, and water softener all discharge into the sump pit also, so it's hard to tell whether the water comes from outside or inside.

That should be easy enough to figure out...

I'm going by memory of your pics, but I'd find it hard to believe you have a groundwater issue based on your house being on the only hill around.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

It's a little hard to describe the layout, but all the equipment is in a corner, along the wall. The dam could be about 2' from the wall and 15' or so long. There would be very little reason to put a wall there. This is all located in my basement workshop.
Mike

I have a 10" high darn for my sump, it is about 18" deep. My water table is around 5' below the surface, so in heavy rain I get a lot of water in my sump. pump runs for several days at times.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
How about a dam of PT 4x4. Construction adhesive to the floor and caulk the joints. You should start calling it the practise house.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Are you planning on building a dam around the sinks, toilets, washing machine, dishwasher, fish tank and your dog's water bowl?

Are you of Dutch heritage?

Just funning ya, carry on.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
Well I'd still use concrete for a curb. To me its easier to form and pour than to mess around with bricks. If I did use bricks, I'd mortar them properly, not glue them to the floor.
I figure if I mortared it I would have to drill and pin it, where if I glued it I could avoid drilling. I would still have to use mortar between bricks.
Mike

blackhat said:

How about a dam of PT 4x4. Construction adhesive (Continuous, generous bead of-added by srv) to the floor and caulk the joints.

Easiest and probably the most water tight. If you're worried about sump failure, get a reliable back-up system.