Need help with dovetails
I've never had any luck getting my dovetails correct. Part of the problem is my lack of patience. I want to make my 2 year old son a large toy box for Christmas. Like 2' tall by 30" wide big. Probably using cherry since I have tons of it. I have routers and the 12" portercable jig. But don't know if that'll work since I need 24" dovetails.
"We have a clear winner here...stevensondrive. Congratulations!"
Richard D.
That precise project is why I bought the Leigh 24" jig. As I see it, you have two options: First, learn to cut dovetails by hand. Second, buy a 24" jig.

Put a WTB post down in S&S - they've been coming up for sale recently.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Are you planning half blind or through dovetails?

There are many options between jig and hand cut. It just depends on what kind you are making. Dovetails are simply a matter of marking and removing waste.
Option 2 definitely. I don't have the time to hand cut all those dovetails. I just started planning the boards today.
Richard D.
Mike77 said:

Are you planning half blind or through dovetails?

Thru
Richard D.
Through dovetails are pretty easy. They can be cut with the tablesaw, a bandsaw, you can cut them with a handsaw and remove the waist with a coping saw . You can make a simple jig or buy just a plate and remove with a router. You can cut the sides and freehand waste out with a trim router. Try you tube for instructions if one of these options appeals to you. Or let me know and I. An point you to a product or instructions.
If you feel like making a road trip you could come up this way and we could do them with my Router Boss. It can handle over 36" of dovetails. If the boards are 3/4" thick, we could use my 3/8 in. diameter cutter and make some lovely small pins.
As I recall, the Porter Cable jig's extended instructions include a way to cover more than a 12 inch space, as well as a way to leave gaps that make the dovetails look more custom.

I have that in mind for someday making a blanket chest.
Phydeaux
Phydeaux said:

As I recall, the Porter Cable jig's extended instructions include a way to cover more than a 12 inch space, as well as a way to leave gaps that make the dovetails look more custom.

I have that in mind for someday making a blanket chest.

Yup. Sure does. You take three pieces of MDF (don't remember the size) glue together, clean up the edges and the template screws onto it.

Make some test cuts and adjustments and you can go as wide of a panel that you can glue up.

Leaving the spaces between the tails does look a lot better. Should be able to down load the advance book from their website.
Not DT's but massive finger joints that Bob Lang used to make the large chest found in Woodworking magazine Issue 10 some years back. It looks like this

If you don't like the look, quit reading. If you do like the look they are made with a hand held router and less than 50 bux of material, if you don't already have it as scrap, and couldn't be easier to accomplish.

Digital download is here for 2 bux at Shop Woodworking, unless you have the issue already.

Entire magazine is here for download Quite possibly the best issue of any woodworking magazine ever, it's in my top 5.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW