Tablesaws are not the only wood launchers
Thanks for admitting and sharing your mistake as a reminder of what can/did happen.
Thankful you still have all fingers, eyes and flesh intact.
Drywall is much easier to patch!
If you continue to cut corners, you'll end up going in circles!

It's my thumb so I'll hit it if I want to!
Yep - RT's can launch wood; especially smaller pieces. Large pieces are easier to hang on to. Starter pins are helpful. I rarely use one but I do when working with smaller pieces. Even with a pin a piece can get caught.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
You did WHAT??!!! You're one lucky dude. BIG lesson learned and thankfully you weren't hurt. A good lesson for all.
Good point about the starting pin. I've had a couple small pieces launch on me with my old RT (cheapo stamped steel Craftsman). Routing edges on small curved pieces takes special care when approaching a corner. Get too close and the bit will grab. My old RT didn't have a starting pin. My new one does and I like it a lot better.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Year climb cuts can be very dangerous. There are only a few times a climb cut is preferred on a router table.
I just want to make sure I understand what you did.

I get the reasoning behind doing a climb cut, I do them myself. But, why would you do a pass between the bit and the fence whether it was a climb cut or a normal cut? I've never had an occasion to do this. Even if the bit was spinning in the direction you thought it was, one slip of the hand and you've got the workpiece in the gut or hopefully flying past you into the opposite wall.

Just curious if I'm missing or misread something.

Also glad you were not injured!

Frank
Frank
Frank, I'm curious too. I can't recall a time I've ever had wood between the bit and fence. I always bury the bit in the fence.

Glad the OP is ok. I had a recent Oh ***** moment yesterday. I was installing a tire rack above my garage door when my wife came home an hour early. I had to jump from the top of the ladder (my feet were 5'+ above the ground). I should have disabled the door while working up there. My legs were jello for 15 minutes from the adrenaline.
25,000 RPMs can get the party started pretty good, ya just need to put it into the launchmode. That a little like beastmode

Trapped climb cuts require depends
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
FrankAtl said:

I just want to make sure I understand what you did. ... Just curious if I'm missing or misread something.

Frank

Does inexperience and overconfidence enlighten your curiosity? As I mentioned (or at least implied) it was a powerful learning experience.

wood2woodknot said:

[blockquote]FrankAtl said:

I just want to make sure I understand what you did. ... Just curious if I'm missing or misread something.

Frank

Does inexperience and overconfidence enlighten your curiosity? As I mentioned (or at least implied) it was a powerful learning experience.

[/blockquote]

It absolutely does!

Believe me, I've done a few bone-headed things in my shop over the years. I recently had to replace a door on the entrance to my shop because I shot a thin piece of stock out of the tablesaw through the glass on the upper part of the door. I found the piece about 50 feet out in the yard. Going through the glass deflected it just enough to miss my truck!

Scared the crap out of me.

Again...glad you're okay!

Frank
Frank