Marv-a-lous little ripper (lots of pictures)
I finally was able to follow Marv's advice and convert a Disston 196 docking saw to a rip saw. This one is only 24 inches long. I filed it with an 8 degree rake, with 10 - 8 degrees at the toe. It helps counter the pronounced crown in the blade.

The tree was an ornamental apricot that died. It was planted about 21 years ago on the day of my granddaughter's birth. I am trying to make her something from it, for this Christmas.

Riving sure didn't work. Though I did rive out a little and may try and chip carve a Christmas ornament, or maybe a spoon. It is some hard stuff, however.

Eric
Wow! That's quite a project. I can't imagine attacking that log with a 24" saw. How long did it take you? Please post photos of your final product. That's a pretty piece of wood.
Pretty wood! Looks like the saw is cutting nicely, too! That should be a special project for your granddaughter
"If I had eight hours to cut down a tree, I'd spend six hours sharpening my axe."

My Woodworking Blog: A Riving Home
Hey Eric!

That first cut is the worst one. So much work just to get a flat surface. The second cut is the money cut.

I know what you mean about the extra rake angle at the toe end due to the crown on some of the Docking saws. I don't like the crown. I have one saw with a 1" crown. The more common 30" blade does that kind of cut a little faster for sure.

That's a nice chunk of wood you have there. Plan on it warping. For 7/8" saw handles, I ripped slabs 1-1/4" thick so I could plane the warp off after they dried. I started with wet green Live Oak.

Here's a handle from some of the crotch wood...

That wood you have there would make a beautiful saw handle.
Catchalater,
Marv

I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”
― Maya Angelou

I'm working toward my PHD.  (Projects Half Done)
I really did not time how long it took. But, it is a 4 and one half point saw, with a .040" plate. It was surprisingly fast and was worth doing.
I got off a little when I switched sides on the last cut. I was sitting down in a chair. My son finished the last cut because I was worn out.
The bugs have gotten to the pith. I am trying to air dry the pieces I did get in order to make a picture frame.
Eric.
Thanks. For a 21 yr. old art student, I may have to figure out a way to attach an "app." Whatever that it is. Maybe a cell phone case.
Eric.
Hi Marv.

Thanks again for the suggestion/advice on converting one of these saws.
That is some pretty oak and nice carving. I am going to school on carving in this apricot.
I did spy a section for a saw handle. It is stickered and weighted, resting on my table saw. I put the leftover "core" in a paper bag filled with shavings. It may be good for a spoon or two.
I have another section about the same size of this one. I am waiting for the weather to clear up and then will try and rive out more spoon stock.

Eric.
I could turn something for her out of it if you wish. I think it looks great and I love knots in wood which I think makes it look even better.

PM me if you want me to do it.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Hi Arlin.

That is a very generous offer.

I don't think that there is enough wood left with enough thickness in this piece to make anything on the lathe.

The other piece has a lot of twist in it. I should get to it tomorrow. Before the bugs finish it off.

Eric.
If you have a 3x3x3 piece I could make a small box with lid for her and I would put a ebony knob on top too.

You would be surprised what I can turn with.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.