Recommendations for a "Quite" (as possible) Shop Vac
AHill said:

Your Fein pulls more air than a typical shop vac. Same goes for Festool, which is also very quiet. If you want to be more efficient in dust extraction, get a Dust Deputy.

Concur. Just because some vacs have a bigger hose doesn't mean they have as much suction. If you didn't already have a Fein, I would point you at one of the Euro vacs like Fein, Festool, Bosch or what I got not too long ago a Nilfisk. They all tend to be quieter than the typical craftsman shop vac and better constructed. I haven't used the dust deputy, but that sounds like a good option and would be my choice if I was in your shoes.
Why don't shop vacuums show how much CFM they suck?
Fein Turbo II
Thanks everyone---as usual great thoughts/responses. I currently have an old Turbo II and it would be great to follow up on adapting a 2 1/2" hose to it. Save space of getting another vac and besides, the Fein is already a known/excellent vac.

For point of discussion, when cleaning out the bottom of my Unisaw, for example, I have to take small "bites" out of the pile of sawdust to avoid clogging, so the 2 1/2" hose would clearly help, as long as it didn't clog up at whatever reducer was needed.
Dave
I have a Fein Turbo II that is top notch. I would go for a 2-1/2" hose for it. Another suggestion (mainly for the Festool guys here) is to take a peek at the Rockler hose, with soft rubber adapters to vac ports on power tools. Cost me about $38 or so, and works great with every Festool, Bosch & Dewalt I have!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
daveferg said:

For point of discussion, when cleaning out the bottom of my Unisaw, for example, I have to take small "bites" out of the pile of sawdust to avoid clogging, so the 2 1/2" hose would clearly help, as long as it didn't clog up at whatever reducer was needed.

This is where a Dust Deputy or equivalent would solve your problem. You keep the 4" hose from the TS to the DD, and run the standard Fein hose from the DD to the Fein vac. Keeps all the crud out of your Fein, and empties your TS way better than what you have now.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
AHill said:

[blockquote]daveferg said:

This is where a Dust Deputy or equivalent would solve your problem. You keep the 4" hose from the TS to the DD, and run the standard Fein hose from the DD to the Fein vac. Keeps all the crud out of your Fein, and empties your TS way better than what you have now.

[/blockquote]

I'll give it some thought----honestly, always thought the dust deputy was something that would reduce the efficiency/suck of the machine. Thanks.
Dave
daveferg said:

I'll give it some thought----honestly, always thought the dust deputy was something that would reduce the efficiency/suck of the machine. Thanks.

As far as I know, a cyclone - which is what a dust deputy is - will always create resistance to air flow so will reduce CFM. However the dust deputy will also helps to keep the filters cleaner which will help airflow. I suspect from what I've read is the cleaner filters more than offset the CFM loss from the dust deputy so a net win. My shopvac 2 1/2" hose will fit an older Fein Turbo II but won't lock like the Fein hose. If you get the dust deputy or other separator you may not pull on the hose between the separator and vac so the fact that it doesn't lock may not matter so much.
Kurt--thanks much for the excellent explanation. Makes sense to me.
Dave
build a box around your shop vac using 3/4 MDF and allow venting on the side away from you and a hole to allow the hose through. Add casters.

You can get this done for $30.00.

When I needed to vacuum in my old darkroom and I did not want to introduce any dust, I drilled a hole in the wall for a hose and ran the vacuum outside the darkroom. I could hardly hear it at all.

Add hose length and leave the vacuum further away.

There are lots of ways to get a quieter vac without actually buying a new one.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.