3D Printer
Although not technically a tools post, I'm looking for some help from someone with a 3D printer. Specifically, I need a couple of small handles that were busted on my Workemate-type portable workbenches, reproduced out of plastic or some sort of composite material.

I called our local library (who has a 3D printer) and their first requirement is that you have the image of the part first entered into software that they can just plug in and hit the "go" button to reproduce. I have no access to this software and am not familiar with this process.

I tried to order replacement parts and cannot find them on the net, at least so far. Just drop me a PM if you can help. Willing to pay nominal cost involved (benches were a Black Friday special at Lowe's a few years ago).

Thanks,

Doug
There is a plugin for sketchup lite that can create the .stl file your library will need to slice and print it for you.

Think about how the part will print as you draw and orient it.

Ask the library to help you learn how to do it or start watching youtube videos. Watching how they work will help you make more effective designs to print.

The software is open source or free so you have access to everything.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Just FYI, there is a LOT of trial and error in getting a part printed correctly. We have a couple of 3d clubs around here that have members and printers and I bet they would love to help you with a project like this if you could find one near you.
chris
if that's all the help the library can give you, they must have a very small pool of users for their 3d printer. Is it possible they have training? What kind of printer do they have? At some point, someone is going to have to put a part into computer. Is it possible that the part you need can be found in this search? web page
Don't know what kind of printer the library has (spoke with them a few weeks ago on the phone).

I'd like to have this part scanned into a program/file rather than draw it in a program. Thanks for the link - I'll look at it closer tomorrow as it's late now. FWIW I think the name of this bench is "Workforce", not a name brand. I ordered parts that I thought might work (another brand/model) from EReplacement Parts and they didn't fit, unfortunately.

Doug
Why do you want it scanned and not draw it? Drawing it will be way more accurate.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I agree with Mike here. Scanning isn't an easy process, and if you can't do it yourself, you'll find it to be very expensive.

for some reason, I didn't notice this was a workmate clone. The Workmate parts may be really close to what you need. Problem is editing STL files without some pretty expensive software. The hobbyist 3d printing community is very sharing, but if it's not an item in common usage it might be hard to get help. I have no experience with this. If your community has a maker shop, that may be your best bet to get help
BloomingtonMike said:

Why do you want it scanned and not draw it? Drawing it will be way more accurate.

Just thought it would be easier to have it scanned. Again, not familiar with the intricacies of this technology. If it's drawn, I'll have to find someone to draw it in the the applicable software.

Maybe the local votech college will be able to help?

Doug
Helena has a makerspace, that might be a better place to start. https://wiki.hackerspaces.org/Montana_Ethical_Hackers

No reason not to check with the votech though
I think I'd work harder at finding a suitable replacement handle. Easier, quicker, cheaper, stronger.

Got pictures?
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry