Watching Norm's early stuff
LIL

I have all of norm's shows on DVD - recorded. I watch them from time to time. It is interesting how different his projects were toward the end - pretty good stuff. Even his early stuff was nice - just used a lot of different techniques.

I subscribed to WS new internet podcasts. They are very detailed on how to do things. The first project is a Greene and Greene desk. Nice instructions along with other shop tips. Was pretty cheap IMO.

I think Tommy Mac is getting better in his show. Some are really neat.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Allan

Yes, I appreciate that Norm was the presenter, the "talent" and that the shows that aired were the result of writers, producers, editors, etc. So nothing against Norm or anybody associated with his show. Also, it is proper to be grateful to your early teachers. (I mean that sincerely, please don't take it as sarcasm.)

I'm just saying that the show was a 4 parts "info" and 8 parts "tainment". I'm sure that's what the producers meant it to be, and it did inspire a lot of people to take up woodworking. But apparently none of the writers and producers had taught woodworking to novices. At least they seemed to assume that their audience knew basic safe and effective operations. "Norm" made it look so easy that it may have fostered a kind of cowboy attitude in some viewers that I think is still with us. The trouble was, I thought I knew more than I really did. I can agree that the problem was with me. But I don't think that I was unique in this regard. When I didn't get the expected result, I was simply frustrated because I did not know what I did not know.

In contrast, the early woodworking online.com podcasts tended to teach methods and allowed me to learn basics. Somehow those podcasts showed me that attractive, durable and useful furniture requires knowledge, discipline and patience. Those podcasts made me see that I needed to learn fundamentals before I could expect satisfactory results. They also lead me to Woodsmith magazine and woodnet, long before I was ready for FWW.

So, anyway, my "journey" was different.

Doug
Cian said:

Norm kept it real, and was one of my primary inspirations to nose dive into this mess. I do miss Norm.

Yours mine and 1000's more
Tonight I was watching Norm build a corner cupboard. He relied on screws into end-grain plywood to hold it together for the most part, and it was rather plain looking, but I have to credit him for doing something others could try.

He went into some detail on creating mortise and tenon raised panel doors. If he'd built this in 2009 rather than 1989 he probably would have used a router door set, made stub tenons, and called it a day.

This was pre-pneumatic brad nailer Norm, too. Real 4-penny finish nails.

His general approach was carpenter-like. That's what he was. (Which of us wears a tool belt into the shop to build furniture?) A lot of his projects over the years were actually carpenter projects (or cabinet shop projects). I liked the variety. You felt you could build a gate for the garden, a cupola for the garage, or a four-drawer chest for the bed room if you wanted to.

I like to think I've moved past what Norm taught in furniture construction, but he definitely kept my interest in becoming a better woodworker alive when I couldn't afford a shop or equipment. Once I could, I initially used techniques I learned from him. And I built a few decent pieces doing so.

So even though I am not getting much from his re-runs, I appreciate him and what he contributed to my love for and enjoyment of woodworking.
John Mihich said:

I subscribed to WS new internet podcasts. They are very detailed on how to do things. The first project is a Greene and Greene desk. Nice instructions along with other shop tips. Was pretty cheap IMO.

What podcast is this?
-Marc

I always thought Norm did tHe best job of time management. Obviously in a 30 min show (prob closer to 20 without commercials) you can't show every single step. But he had a knack of knowing what to leave out and still allow inexperienced to feel like they could do the project. At least that's how I felt. And this was well before I had any stationary tools. Just the regular diy stuff. A lot of the shows now seem to skip a lot of important stuff and keep things that seem not nearly as important.
Quote:

(Which of us wears a tool belt into the shop to build furniture?)

It's funny, but me. Yep, I used to wear a tool belt and slacks.
Now I wear Carhart overalls with tool pouches.
Don't know if you can get to this. I paid for a year - I think 29.99. It maybe on this site with a link.

Woodsmith video edition
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
29 bux a year or trial it for 1 month at 2.99.

I love all of the TV content, only quibble about T Macs woid usage. I do so get a kick out of I love Norm, and people accepting everything he did without question. Fact he is did a lot of experimentation the "woodworking eggspurts" would frown at if anyone else did so, case in point is Scott Phillips, who can't seem to do anything right. With a few exceptions from members who have proven their chops with the work they have posted, all yous guys could learn from any of the TV folks would be my guess.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I always loved me some Norm!!!!!!!!!!!!