Watching Norm's early stuff
Paul K. Murphy said:

I don't have TV, I've never seen Tommy.
Can you explain that comment for those of us who have never seen him?

Paul,
It's hard to put into words but just the way he talks and the language he uses tells me he is only speaking to male woodworkers. He comes off to me as a pompous jerk.
Kinda late chiming in here.

Like most, Norm was my introduction into wood working. Yes he was a carpenter delving into wood working, but frankly so was I. I put myself through college working in the carpentry business, so many of Norm's anachronism's spoke to me. It was de rigueur for my daughter and I to watch Norm, and other similar programs on our local PBS affiliate, on Sunday morning. Those were, indeed good times.

Looking back, those years were the pinnacle of sales for Porter-Cable, Delta, etc. I kinda have to wonder if the cessation of NYW was the beginning of the end of those companies. Mind mindbogglingly stupid corporate management helped, but I have to wonder.

After that introduction, I've learned more about wood working from print media, yes including this forum, over the years.

Cheers,
chris
AS the OP the thing that made me start this thread at all was not to start a Norm worship or bash thread. And I'm not scolding anyone. The comments were interesting.

I was just interested to the point of wanting to share that interest, on the carpentry techniques. I'm sure if Norm had the resources we have, namely the internet, he might have looked up some of the things he did, rather than thinking through the problem himself. He said in one show as he was looking at a particular detail, "I have some ideas on how to cut that." He was building in his head as he reviewed the piece in the museum.

I guess the thing that made me think of carpentry was that he used a lot of brads, screws, and nails instead of wood joinery. I watched him make an Ogee foot for instance and instead of using a spline and glue blocks to enforce the 45, he used blocks and screws.

I have wondered often on whether all the old masters we idolize would have used Norm's techniques if they had electricity. After all, this was a business for them. How much of the joinery was out of necessity, not art.
From Mike, just above:

"I have wondered often on whether all the old masters we idolize would have used Norm's techniques if they had electricity. After all, this was a business for them. How much of the joinery was out of necessity, not art. "

Does anyone, except those delusional few hand tool fanatics, think that the old masters would not jump at the chance to employ 60 cycle tools (50 cycle in some countries? If you want to make a period piece with period tools, that fine. Period tools probably should not include Lee Valley, Veritas, or Lie Nielsen items. Probably should also use candles or a lantern for illumination instead of a light bulb or LED. I am interested in making a finished item, not a 0.001" shaving.

Like I have said several times before, no one cares how you built the item, only if it is done and how it looks. The clock is ticking for me before I am sent up to the Festool heaven in the sky of the Harbor Freight store down below....Tom
doobes said:

Looking back, those years were the pinnacle of sales for Porter-Cable, Delta, etc. I kinda have to wonder if the cessation of NYW was the beginning of the end of those companies. Mind mindbogglingly stupid corporate management helped, but I have to wonder.

Good point.
-Marc

I watch anything related to ww available on tv, even the bad stuff. It gives me ideas on projects, and keeps me informed about new tools and techniques. I never missed NYW, and wish it was on today. The Tommy Mac show is evolving, an IMHO in a very positive way. The current season where he visits, and works with master woodworkers, like David Marks is great. I'll never be able to do some of the things that are done, but still enjoy watching. I'll never be able to hit a major league fastball, but I still like to watch the game
Mark
YSU65 said:

The clock is ticking for me before I am sent up to the Festool heaven in the sky or the Harbor Freight store down below....

(I'm suddenly getting a whiff of that 'HF' odor. Kinda like sulfur. Not good. )
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Quote:

"I have wondered often on whether all the old masters we idolize would have used Norm's techniques if they had electricity. After all, this was a business for them. How much of the joinery was out of necessity, not art. "

I'm pretty well acquainted with cabinetmaking, both its current state, and the practices of old.
Without question, the cabinetmakers of old would use the fastest, best techniques available. Would they shun the tablesaw? Absolutely not!
If you read Roubo's book, you will find that it is, in huge part, a book of jigs and fixtures. It is only the modern hobbyist or ideologue who will deliberately do things the hard way. I'm not saying choosing hand tools is the hard way. Choosing hand tools is often the simplest. I am saying that craftsmen of old made the best, most logical, most expeditious choices available to them. I try to do the same.
Quote:

He comes off to me as a pompous jerk.

Hey!
That's my territory. That poseur.
Paul K. Murphy said:

[blockquote]Quote:

I'm pretty well acquainted with cabinetmaking, both its current state, and the practices of old.
Without question, the cabinetmakers of old would use the fastest, best techniques available. Would they shun the tablesaw? Absolutely not!
If you read Roubo's book, you will find that it is, in huge part, a book of jigs and fixtures. It is only the modern hobbyist or ideologue who will deliberately do things the hard way. I'm not saying choosing hand tools is the hard way. Choosing hand tools is often the simplest. I am saying that craftsmen of old made the best, most logical, most expeditious choices available to them. I try to do the same.

[/blockquote]

Oh if they had electron burners like pocket hole drilled joints and domino's, among others, then woodworking "like it used to be done" would be entirely different from the reality we see it as now.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW