Watching Norm's early stuff
castguy2003 said:

[blockquote]Paul K. Murphy said:

I don't have TV, I've never seen Tommy.
Can you explain that comment for those of us who have never seen him?

Paul,
It's hard to put into words but just the way he talks and the language he uses tells me he is only speaking to male woodworkers. He comes off to me as a pompous jerk.

[/blockquote]

Can you think of any example of the words or language he uses that is gender specific or pompous? I've watched enough of his show to be baffled by that criticism and I'm curious if there's any basis for it.

Rick
Certainly not a fine woodworking furniture person, but Norm piqued my interest and I learned that I too could make useful things that looked moderately pleasing. He taught me volumes, and I'm grateful for that.

Another fine teacher is David Marks, who made very nice pieces look so simple to master.
Mike

MikeinKCMO said:

Certainly not a fine woodworking furniture person, but Norm piqued my interest and I learned that I too could make useful things that looked moderately pleasing. He taught me volumes, and I'm grateful for that.

Another fine teacher is David Marks, who made very nice pieces look so simple to master.

"Certainly not a fine woodworking furniture person"

What exactly does that mean? Is it because he used screws biscuits and a nail gun along with a hammer and nails?

Who cares as I bet the items he made will be around long after we are all gone and that to me defines a piece of fine furniture.

Or is it because he built something like this as one of his first projects?

Does it really matter as we watched him evolve into even more complex projects. Yes he used 90% power tools but so do I at home if not a higher percentage as that's how I like to work since I have electricity available to me. At work that's another story as building high end guitars involves a lot of hand tool work but we also do use power tools to speed the process up where we can.
"...cuttin' your presidency off right now. Just quit. Because if this is you helpin' us, then stop helpin' us."
AlanBienlein said:

[blockquote]MikeinKCMO said:

"Certainly not a fine woodworking furniture person"

What exactly does that mean? Is it because he used screws biscuits and a nail gun along with a hammer and nails?

Who cares as I bet the items he made will be around long after we are all gone and that to me defines a piece of fine furniture.

Or is it because he built something like this as one of his first projects?

Does it really matter as we watched him evolve into even more complex projects. Yes he used 90% power tools but so do I at home if not a higher percentage as that's how I like to work since I have electricity available to me. At work that's another story as building high end guitars involves a lot of hand tool work but we also do use power tools to speed the process up where we can.

[/blockquote]THANK YOU!!!! I was thinking the same thing!
Formerly known as John's Woodshop