How is this made advice

I picture taking a piece of 1x6 T+G Ripping two strips, one with the tongue, one with the groove, then installing all those cross bars.

My question is .. how would you attach the cross bars so that they where strong, without turning it into a ridiculous project ?

PS .. I am building a new house ... with a front and back porch.. I am planning on doing VG Red cedar soffits and wanted to make a custom vent.. something that looks like quality ..

Any ideas are appreciated ..

Looks like they are set in dados in the plywood.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

I would take a piece of the same T&G and dado it on a radial arm saw with a index pin. Easier to do long lengths this way. Rip into thirds, discarding the center third. Add the cross pieces using exterior glue and pin nails. Add the screen after that.

Obviously, the one shows is from a different wood and is pre-made, but using the same T&G makes it a bit more integrated.

I'd probably even use the same T&G and plane it down for the cross pieces. Should have plenty of off-cuts for that.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Rick F said:

I picture taking a piece of 1x6 T+G Ripping two strips, one with the tongue, one with the groove, then installing all those cross bars.

My question is .. how would you attach the cross bars so that they where strong, without turning it into a ridiculous project ?

PS .. I am building a new house ... with a front and back porch.. I am planning on doing VG Red cedar soffits and wanted to make a custom vent.. something that looks like quality ..

Any ideas are appreciated ..

dado the t&g then ripping. glue and staple or screw assembly. im thinkin beings a soffit vent they just sit there and look purdy while venting. no loads on em. no need to go too crazy consructing for strength.

Thanks for all the comments. I dont have room to dado that on the tables saw as I want 8' lengths.. ugg .. Might come up with a pocket screw method ..
Rick F said:

Thanks for all the comments. I dont have room to dado that on the tables saw as I want 8' lengths.. ugg .. Might come up with a pocket screw method ..

use a router?

I could do 20 ' lengths if I could get the stock...
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Good luck, that is great looking vent!
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
It looks like they don't sit flush to the bottom. Maybe the crossbars have rabbits on both ends and they span the sides. A drop of glue and brad would hold them.
go here
http://www.soffitvents.ca/gallery.html

and look at last picture bottom right.should show ya how they do it.

seems pockethole jointery would turn it into a project youre trying to stay away from.
JGrout said:

[blockquote]Rick F said:

use a router?

I could do 20 ' lengths if I could get the stock...

[/blockquote]

Built a router jig tonight Joe .. Thought of it after .. Hooks into the last slot, to make the spacing exact ..