insulating plastic dog house
Does anyone have a good idea for insulating plastic dog houses? The kind that are in two pieces? I would like to be able to insulate them but still take them apart for cleaning.

Also what about a method for providing a small amount of heat?
I'd use spray foam, but the dog would probably chew it off. That stuff sticks to anything.
You can get various kinds of heaters. Some are a mat and some are more like a wall heater. You can find them from most dog supply houses. I've never used them, but built a house with double walls with 6-8 inches of bedding and an L shaped entry so the wind can't blow in. I've owned breeds that are able to be outside though, setters and griffons.

Phil
crokett™ said:

I'd use spray foam, but the dog would probably chew it off. That stuff sticks to anything.

+1

Foam each side separate.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

put some of the pink or blue (polyisocyanurate) foam board under the house as well.
“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

- Winnie the Pooh, as relayed through Author A. A. Milne
Is this a hollow, blow molded plastic kind of construction? I wonder how hard it would be to drill holes in it and fill it with spray foam?
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

I had a pet heater pad. It uses a transformer so that the current near the dog is low voltage and safe. I would probably use wall insulating panels on the floor and add the pet heating pad under a thin floor mat.

Raise the dog house and make a ramp in a tunnel to access the door. As long as the bottom of the dog house is above the opening none of the heat will escape (like an igloo). Heat rises so if the entrance is lower than the living area the heat will not escape. I stayed in an igloo (quincey, actually) in - 2 F weather. It was a 4 man igloo and in the morning it was nearly 40 degrees indoors even though we were all in sleeping bags.

http://www.ecobine.de/data/imagesprint/0...glu_en.gif
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I would not insulate any plastic dog house period because doing so is just asking for problems. Place a thick fluffy insulated dog bed to separate him/her from the cold ground and the dog should be fine. If this is not a breed tolerant of cold climates, is elderly or unhealthy, you need other plans.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
What breed? A lot of dogs prefer the outdoors if the doghouse is warm.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
Foggy said:

What breed? A lot of dogs prefer the outdoors if the doghouse is warm.

A white lab and a short haired border collie. They have six acres with an underground wire fence so they have plenty of room to exercise. The white lab gets cold and shivers throughout most of the winter. The border collie prefers to sleep outside often laying in the snow. Only if it gets extremely cold and windy does he use his dog house.