Air compressor regulator problem
I have a 1hp twin cylinder air compressor from Sears that I bought new back in the early seventies. The pressure regulator no longer holds a constant pressure and I'm not sure the unloader is working consistently either. The parts are no longer available. When I search on ebay I see lots of regulators. Would I be able to adapt one of these to my compressor?
Unless the compressor used some bastardized thread you will be able to.

nearly all regulators use NPT ( pipe threads) and unloaders as well.

figure out what size the threads are ( take off the regulator and head to the plumbing aisle and use couplings to figure out the size/thread and buy that one. in the closest to the size of the one you already have.

Hint: Ace and True value carry some regulators and IIRC unloader valves. easier to match up on site than via a pic on Ebay

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

If the desired adjustment range and flow rate match, yes.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Gold paint? With the big plastic control panel with the regulator in the middle and two gauge? I bought one of them new in the mid-70's for spraying. It was a nice little machine. I wish I still had it.

I don't know what the regulator looks like under the plastic panel, but as the others have said, you shouldn't have any trouble finding one to at least fit the plumbing even if the configuration is a little different. The cheaper line at the time (green paint) didn't have the 'control panel' on the front, but as I recall, they were pretty much the same machine, and had a regulator mounted to the end of the tank with a hose connection. The pressure switch was on a manifold of some sort between the motor and pump. A little creative plumbing should take care of it.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I found the following picture of the compressor. The picture is not mine but one just like mine. It has worked flawlessly since I have had it. It is considerably quieter than my Bostich pancake compressor and pumps up fast also. I have used it to paint several cars. Thanks for your replies.

http://www.auctionflex.com/showlot.ap?co...id=4523609
Had one just like it. It was my dad's. Was used and abused for many many years. Starting having trouble getting up to pressure, and kicking breakers. Gave it to my buddy and bought a new compressor. He put a new set of reed valves in it, and is still using it.
"Mongo only pawn in game of life."        Mongo
That's the one. Mine was 1 hp, but they came in that style up to 3 hp if memory serves. And that was before the inflated hp claims, based on the air delivery figures on the label.

Beyond that, I've got nothing. Pull the cover of and have a look-see. Better yet, post some pics of what's under the hood here.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I am looking at this setup on ebay and having trouble understanding it. here is a link to it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/90-120PSI-Air-Co...%3D141718198098

In the picture there is a manifold and two gauges and what looks like two places to connect air hoses. Wouldn't both of the gauges always be reading the same? In other words wouldn't both gauges be reading what the regulator is set for? And, if that's the case why two gauges?

The setup that came with my compressor has two gauges but one monitors the tank pressure while the other shows the regulated pressure. I'm confused
Note the relief valve on the right hand side, the reg is adjusting the left hand port only.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

The unit under the hood of your Craftsman is probably pretty much the same thing, except for the manual on/off 'switch', which I'd guess is just a remote lever to override the pressure switch, like most small compressors use.

The gauge on the right is tank pressure, as that's also where the ASME valve is (high flow rate relief valve to vent down the tank faster than the pump can pump in the event it doesn't shut down when it should).

The gauge on the left is regulated air. It looks like you can put a hose (or quick disconnect) on both, which is handy for when you want max pressure and don't want to keep cranking the regulator up and down.

But I would see about replacing or repairing just the regulator first, to keep the control panel the way it is, as the plastic is also part of the cooling shroud. It may be just an old diaphragm that can be replaced.

Edit: BH beat me to it.
Tom