Opinions please
About a year ago my cheap little oil free air compressor gave up after a good long run. I decided that I should buy a quality air compressor to replace it and got a nice one locally.

The problem that has come up and I didn't think about before had was I live in a cold state. I don't always heat my garage, and an oil filled compressor will trip when starting too cold. Even stored in the attached garage, it will trip. Something I should have considered before purchasing it, but didn't think of. So it works April to November and leaves me stranded the 4 months I'm using it the most.

So, I believe I have 2 options. There is a utility room in the basement, next to the garage. I could place the compressor there and run an air line to the garage fairly easily. Results in having to go downstairs and turn the compressor on (unless someone can tell me how to get that darn leak at the compressor side connector to stop) when I need to use it, and potentially waking people up since I have a tendancy to get up early.

Or, I sell it and buy another oil free
The more you know, the less you need
Do what you plan to do, but plug the compressor in an extension cord with a switch attached to the cord.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

Kinda what I was thinking....run 12 0r 14 ga wire when you run the pipe and put a switch next to where the air line is coming in. Build a sound box around it...they have been discussed here before.
Third option:

How about getting an electric blanket to warm the compressor parts before starting the compressor?
WoodTinker
I would use a remote to start/stop it.
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
I like the remote idea. Should have thought of that myself, but should have thought of the oil getting thick when cold too.

Also, electric blanket will work until I can get the other work done.

Thanks all.
The more you know, the less you need
How about changing to an oil rated for use at low temperature?

John
I use synthetic oil in my 60 gal 5 hp compressor. It sits in the unheated garage and has no problem starting even at below zero temps. I think a switch to synthetic oil will solve your problem.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
option 3-
synthetic oil as mentioned(might want to contact compressor manufacturer for their recommendation).
and a halogen worklight above the pump.
No experience here with compressors, but first thought was about tucking that 60 watt work lamp over the engine block on those sub-zero nights long ago so the car would start in the a.m. That was before engine block heaters came to town. Only had to do it when you needed it.