Substitute for Mineral Spirits in Socal?
Maybe too far to drive for you, but you can still get MS in Ventura County or Bakersfield (Kern County). They are different Air Quality Management Districts. You could also try a paint store. My future Father-In-Law lives in Bakersfield, and I usually stock up with several gallons of stuff I can't get in the Antelope Valley, which is part of the SoCal AQMD.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
internet look for free shipping HTH
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Sounds like a good excuse to drive to Santa Ana. Austin Hardwoods probably carries the good stuff since they are out of the SCAQMD. They carry Arm-R-Seal which I can't get here. Call first and make sure.
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe
If they keep this up then bootlegging is going to become a profitable enterprise again.
I used to work for a place in California that uses OMS by the 55 gallon drum. You probably can't easily get it in the store, just chemical suppliers. I know I use it for stuff where I don't really need it. I would just use acetone for most of those things, but I still have most of a gallon of mineral spirits.
Richard D. said:

Sounds like a good excuse to drive to Santa Ana. Austin Hardwoods probably carries the good stuff since they are out of the SCAQMD. They carry Arm-R-Seal which I can't get here. Call first and make sure.

Yes, and don't try Woodcraft in Orange County. Woodcraft stopped shipping that kind of stuff to ALL their Woodcraft stores in CA. They apparently don't have the capability to distinguish between the various Air Quality Management Districts in CA. Even though it's allowed in Ventura County, the Woodcraft there no longer carries Arm-R-Seal. Yet, they still have Waterlox. Go figure.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
AHill said:

[blockquote]Richard D. said:

Yes, and don't try Woodcraft in Orange County. Woodcraft stopped shipping that kind of stuff to ALL their Woodcraft stores in CA. They apparently don't have the capability to distinguish between the various Air Quality Management Districts in CA. Even though it's allowed in Ventura County, the Woodcraft there no longer carries Arm-R-Seal. Yet, they still have Waterlox. Go figure.

[/blockquote]

Do they still carry Seal a cell? That's where I get it when I visit my parents.
danw
danw said:

[blockquote]AHill said:

[blockquote]Richard D. said:

[/blockquote]

Do they still carry Seal a cell? That's where I get it when I visit my parents.

[/blockquote]

All the Ventura Woodcraft had when I last visited was the General Finishes stains and Salad Bowl Finish. They had neither the Arm-R-Seal nor the Seal-A-Cell. I'm assuming that's the same for the Orange County Woodcraft. To be honest, I haven't been there in a couple of years. It's far less traffic to get to Ventura for me than OC. And more scenic.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Hi,

If you can find it, you might try a product called Gamsol. It would be in art supply stores. It's a less toxic mineral spirits, very slow drying, almost no odor, that artist's use. It's handy when you want to see what color the piece will look like when finished, and, since it's so slow drying, you'll be able to see the color for quite a while.

But it's expensive, so you might want to use it sparingly.