Crack in Chimney? Masonry Expert Please!
Hi, we got the home inspection report on a condo we're buying. There are some basic/straight-forward issues, but the biggest concern is this chimney. This is in southern Calif----earthquake?? and the building is almost 40years old.

We had a certified chimney inspector out to check to see if there was any damage to the flue liner---none--but he's trying to tell us that that crack can just be caulked, which I don't buy. Fine---caulk a crack in a concrete driveway---but not something as structural is a chimney.

Anyway, looking for ideas on what should be done.

" />
Dave
If you weren't in an earthquake zone it probably could be caulked to keep water and freezing out. In an earthquake zone I'd probably be leery too. Since you are thinking of purchasing it, why not make it a condition for purchase? Why use masonry in the 1st place? Why not Class A?
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

Thanks Matt. The condo was built in 1976----and brick chimney's were very popular out here at that time---my folks house, built in '69 had one as well, whereas our current, mid-80s house had the wood chase with metal flue pipe.

I don't think we have the sharpest tacks working on the realty agent side. They hand me a "natural hazards disclosure form" for this place, and it doesn't even indicate earthquakes. :roll eyes:

Our offer was contingent on passing a home inspection and the inspector caught this even though it was on the roof side of the chimney---guess he really went up on the roof.

Anyway--now trying to get it through the head of the agent we're not going to accept caulk as a fix for the chimney.
Dave
I see 12 courses of bricks. 4" bricks would give you 3 feet of chimney. I wouldn't be overly expensive to have a mason rebuild it or to remove it at roof level and run Class A in a framed enclosure.

If I was trying to sell a house in S. California, the $1000 I figure that it would take to do this wouldn't even register as an issue considering the property values I think you're looking at.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

Dave is the chimney lined with rectangle clay pipe with the brick as a veneer? if so that crack wouldn't worry me much more than caulking. I would have them film the insides as that is what matters
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Yes, it is a rectangular clay liner---normally I'd just fill a crack, but this is so long----in any event, want a mason to put a level on the side to see if this is a bigger problem.

Funny thing is----I don't know why this isn't the responsibility of the HOA---but then who can figure that.
Dave
I wouldn't worry about it as long as the flue was good. I wouldn't even bother caulking it. But hey, if you can get the seller to lower his price, go for it.

Twinn
Will post for food.
You may need to check and see what the municipality requires. My brother was house shopping the bay area about a year ago. One house he looked at had a chimney with cracks like yours. The local governing body (I assume the city) required that the chimney be torn down and rebuilt. The sellers were aware of this. My brother didn't buy the house.

Edited... I went back and compared your pic and the pics he sent. I can't tell if your pics indicate structural issues, I know that his did. The concern out there is of course earth quakes.
Dave, there are only 6 courses on the face to remove and replace with new brick.I would have a mason do it. Even if the flue liner is perfect it looks lousy. Caulk would make it stand out.

mike
Mike---even though it's on the roof side (not really visible from the ground) I feel exactly the same way---besides, here in earthquake country, we take such cracks seriously.
Dave