I need advise on sharpening a scorp or inshave
Also what is the difference between them.

Thank you

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Arlin Eastman said:

Also what is the difference between them.

Arlin,

I think the terms are used interchangeably, but think that a scorp looks like a full circle with a single handle, while an inshave looks like a horseshoe with two handles. Either way, here are a couple of videos by Barr Quarton and Curtis Buchanan on how to sharpen them.

Steve

web page

web page
Thank you Steve

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

Arlin,

The terms scorp and inshave tend to be used interchangeably. Scorps tend to have a semi-circular blade, whereas inshaves are more u-shaped. Each chairmaker has his own preference. Antique inshaves tend to be more u-shaped. The circular shape is more recent. Most chairmaking inshaves have two handles. A single handled scorp would make for arduous work to shape a chair seat.

Here's a link to Peter Galbert's chair making notes blog where he talks about the differences and his preferred shape.

http://chairnotes.blogspot.com/2007/05/inshaves.html

Here's a link to a YouTube video where Chris Buchanan - a pretty good chairmaker - sharpens his scorp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZoTTN-LZyQ
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Thank you Allan

Arlin