Who's Using Abranet?
I need to buy a bunch of new sanding disks and wonder if I should switch from sandpaper (Mirka and Klingspore paper is what I have typically used.) to Abranet. I've used a few of the P600 5" disks by hand for scuff sanding between coats of finish and am impressed, but have never used it on my ROS because that takes 6". For those who are using Abranet what's your opinion? What do you like, dislike about it? Thanks.

John
I've used it for woodturning and love it. The dust just falls through and it lasts a very long time. I have some disks for my ROS but have not tired them yet.

Doug
It works great for what it was designed for in the automotive refinishing but for woodworking I am not impressed. Tried it and plain old Mirka paper was way more cost effective.
I wanted to try some for turning for the guys since they go thru sandpaper pretty fast and it is kind of expensive for me.

I do know it last a lot longer and works a lot better but until I need more paper I just can not afford to buy it.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
This will be an interesting thread to me. I've often considered buying some myself. One comment I came across more than a few times was that if you snag it (like on a corner or edge) it pretty much destroys that piece of Abranet....anyone have that experience?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I haven't used it myself but have a friend with a sail boat with a ton of varnished mahogany bright work. He bought Mirka sander with the remote power supply, abranet discs and uses a Fein dust extractor. He swears by the combination fast, clean and cost effective.
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
I have the Mirka sander and I have two things that I have noticed with using that sander and the abranet disks.

1) The disc collection is awesome with the abranet disks. Works way better than a regular old 8 hole disk.

2) if I am sanding anything other than a flat surface, I use the Mirka disks. Sanding edges or corners and the abranet is toast.
Abranet is pricey, doesn't last as long as some paper discs and, as mentioned above, doesn't do well with curves or corners. Used with the proper pad and vacuum it is superior when it comes to dust collection.

I have found Autonet for about 1/3 less money than Abranet and I can't find any information as to the difference in discs other than marketing. When I spoke with a rep several years ago he couldn't tell me the difference either.
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe
Thanks all. I decided to stick with Klingspore paper and film disks for this order. I do like the P600 Abranet disks for scuff sanding by hand between coats of finish as it doesn't load up as quickly and is easy to clean.

John
I use it for power sanding. In my opinion it lasts a long time, cuts quickly, and leaves a very nice surface when the ROS is attached to a vacuum. The dust collection is amazing since the dust can pass through the entire disk rather than only through a number of holes.

This efficient removal of particles actually makes for a smoother surface since the particles do not get rubbed around the surface until it finds a hole.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.