template thickness?
Is there a preferred template thickness for routing purposes? My modest experience with ¼” templates has not been rewarding. Discovering that I had an uncut ridge on the work piece I raised/lowered the bit to get the entire work piece and ended up cutting into the template. Reducing that template to less than a ¼’ seems, to my way of thinking, inviting trouble. What problems would I encounter in going to 3/8”?
Bill
My thinnest jigs are 1/2" The only thing I lose is 1/2" depth of cut..........

It is not an issue here
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Most of the premade, "rout this shape" kind of templates are 3/8" or 1/2" in thickness, no problems with either. You will likely be using a template bit with a guide bearing. These come in all different heights, so as long as the bearing rides firmly on the template, and has enough cutting edge in height to go through the material you are using, you are golden.

good place to get them Tell them to give you the "woodnet" discount. Owner is a nice guy, come here, goes by Brian in sunny FL

Tons of videos on You Tube showing how to make, and use templates.

Have fun Please understand this before going too far Your fingertips will thank you later.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
1/4 templets should be used with collars. Thicker/thinner depends on the application, cutter, bearings (if used), collar, router etc.
Pat Warner
1/2" MDF is what I almost always use, I probably go through a 4x8 sheet in a year
Thanks all, you have confirmed my suspicions, 1/2" MDF it will be.
1/2" thick when the bearing is on the outer end of the bit as in typical template routing.

With a "pattern bit" where the bearing is on the shank, I may need to use 3/4" templates because of the length of the cutting edge. Thinner templates may not have room for the bearing to meet the template.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Definitely half inch. Unless you have a really short router bit and want to make a really shallow cut, that would be fine. I've even had to prop templates up an extra 1/4" if I'm routing a groove or something. If you're fully cutting out a shape from really thick material, you can always make one pass, remove the template, then make another pass, your first pass be comes the template, ya know?
Benny