Now that I have a Delta 20" BS, where to get parts?
The 28-340 I just picked up is in decent running shape, but there are things that will bug me to not have. One of them is the tension hand wheel. It is available for ~$67 from one of the parts direct places, but I was hoping to find the bone yard type places, that I might find some of these parts I need. I just ordered these to upgrade the guides. I'm in the process of registering at owwm.org to see if I can find some parts there. I've been searching around blindly and thought someone here might know right where I should be looking.

Parts sources for the 37-315 jointer might be handy as well.

Thanks
Grizzly sells quite an assortment of hand wheels. Depending on the parts you are looking for they might have them also if you find a similar model.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
Definitely -Place a WTB ad on owwm.
Definitely - do a saved search(es) on ebay for your parts.

handwheels- I see Reid Supply has now been folded into this company - link to handwheels:
http://us.essentracomponents.com/shop/en...wheels-78593--1
thomasegan said:

Definitely -Place a WTB ad on owwm.

Yes ^^^ you are on the right track here. Lots of other owners there.

Doug
bobs64ford352 said:

The 28-340 I just picked up is in decent running shape, but there are things that will bug me to not have. One of them is the tension hand wheel. It is available for ~$67 from one of the parts direct places, but I was hoping to find the bone yard type places, that I might find some of these parts I need. I just ordered these to upgrade the guides. I'm in the process of registering at owwm.org to see if I can find some parts there. I've been searching around blindly and thought someone here might know right where I should be looking.

Parts sources for the 37-315 jointer might be handy as well.

Thanks

Ballew Tools in Springfield MO. used to be a large, major delta dealer. They may have/can get your parts still.
I haven't dealt with them in several years so don't know their current situation.
Google will give you their website and info
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Great, thanks all for the info. I have joined and posted over at OWWM and continue to search ebay and google.

Bob
Handwheels are pretty much interchangeable as long as the center hole is the same. The wheel itself doesn't have to be similar. It only has to do the job and look half decent.

-Industrial suppliers usually sell handwheels in a variety of models and sizes. Sometimes the center hole can be altered to fit.
-There are certain old industrial valves with cast iron handles that look like old time machinery handwheels. They tend to turn up at scrap yards dealing with industrial scrap metal. The center hole is square and tapered but any local machinist could modify the hole to fit as long as there is enough material around it.
-It is possible to ask someone to turn a hub with the correct inner diametre and rather large outer diametre. Then you weld or ask someone to weld a piece of flat bar straight across the end of it. That is all you need to make it work but if you want to put some more effort into it you could bend a piece of round stock to a loop and weld the loop to the flat bar and get a handwheel.

However I think you will find the handwheel at OWWM and don't need to go this far.

What more do you need?
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
Good to know. I'm also having trouble locating the throat plate. The opening measures 3" on my saw and the biggest I can find on ebay is 2.5". I may end up making my own, though.

Bob
Making your own insert is likely a good idea. I made up a batch for school shop machines. Considering I can get close to $20.00 each, it was worth my time. While I used a metal lathe, I don't see why a person couldn't use a wood lathe and some compression chucking to hold things.

Rough out some oversized disks on the band saw and stick them in the lathe, holding them in compression by the tailstock.

Better detail of compression

Light cuts is the key to cutting aluminum this way.

Once the finished diameter is reached, loosen the tailstock and you have a stack of disks the right size. The slot for the blade can be cut in a multitude of ways.
Bob - that's a good tip for cutting throat plates.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.