Code for lights over shower and tub?
We did some construction about 15 years ago that included can lights above tub and shower. The electrician said then needed to be enclosed per code. Is that right? I'm thinking about changing them out to something with an exposed bulb. Is there a bulb for a can that would have a coating over it to make it legal? Maybe he was in error?

Thanks
toolmiser said:

We did some construction about 15 years ago that included can lights above tub and shower. The electrician said then needed to be enclosed per code. Is that right? I'm thinking about changing them out to something with an exposed bulb. Is there a bulb for a can that would have a coating over it to make it legal? Maybe he was in error?

Thanks

The light in my shower and the one over the garden tub both have a trim ring that covers the lens, unlike the can lights in the rest of the house where the flood bulb is accessible.
An incandescent hit with water while hot could shatter. Not what I want above me while barefoot in the shower.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

Can and trim must be rated for wet location. Usually the trim is gasketed.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Why do you want an exposed bulb?

We replaced the bulb (and enclosure) with one of these LED:

It is for wet location. The one we got is also dimmable....I like that because it gets brighter than the 60W bulb we had before, but on low it is very dim for use at night. Biggest downside, is LEDs need a "special" ($20) dimmer switch.
Why do we want to replace it? Well it's a little odd, but there are two over our whirlpool tub, and my wife would like some light directed to another area, and I tried a "gimbal" adjustable from another fixture and it met approval. So I guess I would like say an LED Gimbal that would be code OK for a bathroom. That would make everybody happy, I hope!
toolmiser said:

Why do we want to replace it? Well it's a little odd, but there are two over our whirlpool tub, and my wife would like some light directed to another area, and I tried a "gimbal" adjustable from another fixture and it met approval. So I guess I would like say an LED Gimbal that would be code OK for a bathroom. That would make everybody happy, I hope!

As long as it's a sealed unit for damp/wet areas. The reason is that you don't want moisture from the shower/tub getting into the ceiling and promoting mold growth and rotting wood.
I have the same setup as KC. No gasket, just a lens that clips on.
Shame on the men who can court exemption from present trouble and expense at the price of their own posterity's liberty! - Samuel Adams
Mandrake said:

There should have been a foam gasket with the lens. Course I haven't bought one in a while as they aren't used any more since leds have replaced them and most all leds come with a gasket as well for air/moisture infiltration. So of the cheapest don't have them.
Robert Adams said:

[blockquote]Mandrake said:

There should have been a foam gasket with the lens. Course I haven't bought one in a while as they aren't used any more since leds have replaced them and most all leds come with a gasket as well for air/moisture infiltration. So of the cheapest don't have them.

[/blockquote]

Just because they put it in MY house might not mean ANYTHING as to what's 'right'. You've all read my rants. Although to be fair, the only nit I remember having with the electrician was the unused (but wired anyway) outlet box behind the big wall mirror in the bathroom. That ended up being good because I put an outlet there. And it may have actually been the mirror guy's fault.