Maybe Grizzly was just the first of the places
to streamline the B&M locations. I got an e mail this morning that Woodworker's Supply is closing it's NC store. Not nearly the size of Grizzly, but still a company I always enjoyed doing business with, bought my first 2 table saws from them. I think that leaves them with Casper WY, and Albuquerque.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
It's a brave new world in retail sales these days. Amazon is creating huge perturbations in the business in general, and not just woodworking.

Combine that with the still not well economy and it will be very interesting to see which large scale retailers can adapt to the conditions and survive.
chris
I'm not saying I know the answer, but possibly just a general decline in those using woodworking tools and equipment. A guy only needs one TS for the most part. Since schools have dropped this as a learning opportunity for young kids, and PBS and other TV outlets are providing less programming to catch peoples interest, I fear we are dinosaurs.

Add to that the marketing channels are indeed changing what with Amazoo/online replacing brick and mortar. Consider all of the WoodCraft franchises we have read about closing, 4 Corners, etc etc. This is just a continuation, albeit on a grander scale.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
the problem I have in building out a shop is that I'm probably going to have to move. Even a decent collection of hand tools is a nightmare to move.
I am willing to bet that machinery as a general rule is the least profitable part of any B&M, for that matter the online sources to a lesser degree

I use WWS NM because it is the closest outlet to me for a good portion of my hardware which accounts for easily 90% of my purchases. To date I have never set foot in the door in Albuquerque

online is likely where the money is spent by anyone who does this more than a little

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

The Graham store is closing but they are opening a new store in Raleigh.
Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently. "HF"
I'm fortunate enough to have a Rockler, and 2 WoodCrafts within my workday driving vicinity, so I still try to support them for purchases of ones and twos, but you are right, if I am getting 100 it's usually online.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I visited a Rockler this past weekend, and I would agree that stationary machines (except maybe SawStop, because of the large volume on hand) are not their profit center. Store was set up for impulse purchases.

Grizzly & ShopFox are available through Amazon, and if you purchase through the Grizzly website, you have the option to bill through Amazon. I've used Woodworker's Supply through the years, and though a fine organization, it is one that never comes to mind.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
JerrySats said:

The Graham store is closing but they are opening a new store in Raleigh.

Jerry, are they just moving then? That wasn't mentioned in the notice I received.

Edit:My apologies to all: they are just relocating their store as Jerry indicated. I've never been to the NC store (have been to Casper, once) but it's good to see this isn't a consolidation, though I suppose that's far enough to cause problems for some of the employees.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I live about 125 miles and about 2 1/2 hrs from the store in Muncy. When I bought my band saw, extreme 17", I looked at the options of driving my truck down there and picking up the saw or having it delivered. If I drove down there it would be over 6 hrs. Have to stop and look around the store, pay for lunch for my friends who drove down with me and would help me unload the saw at home, and then include the PA state sales tax. If I have it delivered, I save on gas, time, sales tax, and food costs. Shipping was like $99. I gave the driver $20 for helping me unload it and move it into the shop. So I was way ahead financially. And my friends are too fat, should skip a meal or two. Buying it online was the best deal all around for me....Tom