Thermostat for 5K shop heater
Can a guy wire an external thermostat to a 5K shop heater? Currently on lowest setting(on built in stat) the shop is 65 degrees which is too warm when not in shop.
I have one of those I've meaning to put in my garage for occasional use. I always thought I could get a line voltage stat to put on it. Not as accurate as the low voltage ones, but still better than nothing.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Put a line voltage tstat in the feeder.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

A taco 401 and thermostat could act as a temp controlled relay to then send power to your setup. It would only send power to your heaters thermostat when the tacos thermostat/you decided it was needed. It would turn it off when the taco/them temp was reached.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

What blackhat said. Cheapest, simplest way. Should be able to get one at the BORG for $16. 22A, 120/240V, single-pole (can switch a 240V heater, as it's not the disconnect), 40-80F adjustment range. They also have a double-pole for another $5 with th same specs, if it makes you feel better switching both legs (assuming it's a 240V heater).
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Have my 2 5000W units operating on external thermostats,
(Honeywell CT410B Manual 4 Wire Premium Baseboard/Line Volt Thermostat (YCT410B1000/U) Amazon

Hooked them up like the original thermostat in order that the fan could run cool down cycle for heating element. Been in use couple years and work fine, keeping shop around 45 degrees, when not in use. Thinking only used 2 of the 4 wires, not sure!
I've got mine controlled by a wifi thermostat using a 24V transformer to power the thermostat which in turn controls a contactor with a 24V coil that switches the heater on and off. The advantage is that I can turn on the heat in the shop with my cell phone from the house without having to go out into the cold.
A retirement dedicated to fine woodworking and bad golf.
Woodamaker can you tell me how you wired it Or does Anyone one know how Woodamaker wired his 5k heater like he mentioned in his reply to my question?
blackhat said:

Put a line voltage tstat in the feeder.

This ^^^^^. Money well spent.
The new ones are very accurate IMHO.