do biscuits get old?
I know biscuits swell when you put glue on them, but I have a supply of unused, but nearly 20 year old biscuits I am wondering about. Ok, so I'm donating the biscuit joiner to the auction, I just wonder if it's worth including the biscuits too.

Just to clarify, I'm thinning the herd. Biscuit joining just doesn't fit my style of woodwork, which is very deliberate and usually involves unfinished projects. So I would rather have the room than the tool.
Grab a piece of scrap and shoot a hole into it with your biscuit joiner (before packing it off) and see if the biscuits still drop right in. If they do then they haven't absorbed any meaningful moisture, and should be fine. I can see they might absorb moisture if left lying out, most I have seen are in some form of container. Guessing that is to keep em rounded up, and maybe away from moisture?
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
As long as you didn't leave hem out in the rain they are fine. I find most are actually a little on the thin side anyway.
Remove the moisture by putting them in the microwave.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
CARYinWA said:

Remove the moisture by putting them in the microwave.

+1... Tom
+2

The testing on scrape is a good idea. If they get a little moisture you can force them in but will have to work to get them out.

I do keep mine in an "air tight" jar.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Send them along with it. I've had them a little snug before, but a quick rub with a sanding block takes care of it. I find the generic ones tend to be a little inconsistent.
+3

Lay them out in a single layer on a paper towel and cook them on high for 30 seconds or so.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
"Do biscuits get old?"

Not around my house!
I thought they were called 'hardtack."