Quiet air compressor options?
If one wants a quiet air compressor that's able to run most air tools in a home shop and last a long time, what are the options? So far it seems to be between the Makita MAC 2400 with 4.2 CFM at 90psi with 79 dBA, or the California Air Tools CAT-10020 with 5.3 CFM at 90psi with 70 dBA. Both are just under $300 right now at Home Depot.

Thoughts? Other options?
I have the Rolair and I love it.
Very quiet and dependable
I had the Makita for about two weeks before taking it back to Home Depot. I was floored by how quiet it was. You barely had to raise your voice to have a conversation over it. Really really quiet (in air compressor terms). ONLY reason I took it back is where I needed it in my shop, the valve to drain it wasn't easy to reach, and given that it doesn't have wheels, it was a pain to scoot in and out of it's spot. If not for that layout of the compressor, with respect to my shop, there is no way I would have returned it. It was quieter than I'd hoped.

Unfortunately, it's big brother, the 5200, has not proved to be as quiet as the 2400.

I did not go with the CAT because some site I came across did not have good reviews on it. Fit and finish reported as spotty.

Hope this helps.
I don't know if I have that exact model, but I have a California Air Tools compressor and it is very quiet as far as compressors are concerned. It fills quickly, too.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Find yourself a low RPM, oil type compressor. The key is low RPM - it generates less noise,vibration and heat. I picked up a 2 stage unit that runs just over 700 RPM and it produces far more air at a fraction of the noise that my Sears "5 hp" oil less compressor ever did. Same thing goes for portable units - low RPM, oiled compressor head is the key.
MKM - Master Kindling Maker
Bit_Fiddler said:

I picked up a 2 stage unit that runs just over 700 RPM and it produces far more air at a fraction of the noise that my Sears "5 hp" oil less compressor ever did.

700rpm or 1700 rpm?? 1725 is a "low" motor rpm

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Do like my dentist did: He put the compressor in another room and ran a hose to a separate holding tank. No noise at all. Holding tanks are cheap--you can get them for $30.00 or so. Plus the long hose. And use your current air compressor.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
You don't even need an extra air tank unless maybe you want to run a tool that takes a lot of air (but only for short periods). I have my 60 gal compressor in my garage and have a 50 ft hose that goes through the wall and into my basement shop. One compressor takes care of all my needs except on the jobsite. I do have a 3 gal Sears compressor for that, but it definitely is not quiet. On the other hand, it doesn't cycle very often as all I'm running is a nail gun or two.

But if you want a quiet portable air compressor for the shop, this article might be helpful.

John
BloomingtonMike said:

700rpm or 1700 rpm?? 1725 is a "low" motor rpm

Compressor head runs just over 700 RPM, not sure if the motor runs at 1725 or 3450, but I really don't care what speed the motor runs at since it is not the noisy component.
MKM - Master Kindling Maker
Keep in mind that db ratings are exponential. 9 db is greater than it seems. But the db rating is less important than the empirical sound. Try to hear the ones that interest you in person. A high pitched, rattling one sounds louder than a low pitched, rumbling one. And if the drain is in a bad place, replace it with an elbow, a length of pipe, and a ball valve.
Anthony

Disposable income? Is that what I pour into the house?