15" Planer rehab
Picked up this planer this past weekend. There used to be a plate over this ID decal so I really don't know what brand it is. In the second picture, you can see where there used to be a metal plate held on by rivets.

The manual for a Jet 15" JWP-15DX planer seems to match the controls and features on this except for two thing. One is no big deal, where this one uses regular style blades and the manual shows blades similar to a lunchbox planer. The second difference, which may be a big deal is this planer does not have a tensioner for the chains and sprockets. I took the cover off and there is no tensioner, nor is there a hole for one to bolt to. Is it possible that there never was one?

I am slowly taking it apart and cleaning up years of gunk. Any tricks, and products that will make cleaning up the table easier?

I drained the gear box and wondering if I need to flush it out before putting in new gear lube.
Kano Kroil you won't find better for breaking old parts loose, gunk and dried, locked up, whatever comes off easily. Guys at work use it for pump repair. Some of the pumps have been installed underground for up to 100 years. We make products from rendered down animal fat. You can't imagine 100 years of caked on, baked on, lard. Rust is easy

It ain't cheap, but wow does it work.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I dismantled, cleaned/de-rusted, and reassembled my jwp-15HO. Basically the same machine.

What do you mean by regular knives v lunchbox knives? Are there holes in the knives or something?

Tips? To remove cutter head and rollers, follow the instructions for installing a Byrd head (on their website).
cvillewood said:

What do you mean by regular knives v lunchbox knives? Are there holes in the knives or something?

The manual that I downloaded shows and describes changing blades much like a lunchbox planer where the blades index on bosses.

This planer has the standard gib set-up, so I am going to have to find a knife setting jig

Nothing is really stuck, just crud and some rust. There were acorns and mice nesting material as well as wood savings packed in there pretty good.

The oil that came out of the gear box looked like crude oil. Should I fill it with a light oil or solvent and drain to flush out the gunk before refilling with gear oil?
If you're not doing a complete tear down, I'd just clean it as best as you can (without going over board) with the housing cover taken off. Maybe some brake cleaner / degreaser shot in there with a toothbrush would do it.

As far as knife setting, the HO and newer model manuals describe a method where you set the knives based on them just kissing a board (IIRC). I use a dial indicator.
Looks like an old Grizzly GO453
This will not be a complete tear down, but Grizzly's price on the shelix head is very tempting.

Just now realizing that Byrd Tools is right down the road from me in Leitchfield KY.
That looks identical to my Woodtek and countless other Asian made 15" planers. I did pretty much what you are doing and it's not too hard. +1 on Kroil. Go to Grizzly.com and watch the 15" planer setup videos they have. Virtually identical.

Doug
LIL

I rehabbed my Sunhill 20" and it was in much worse condition. The bearing (bushing, actually) for the in and out feed rollers were basically gone. I sourced Grizzly parts for replacement and they fit just fine and they most likely will for you. Better news is Griz usually ships quick.

Buy bearing on the open market. No need for catalog parts there. They are a common size and its likely embossed on the actual bearing.

I'd probably fill the gearbox with kerosene and let it soak for a few days while I was doing other things. Drain and re-fill with proper oil. Then, when running, I'd run it a while and then drain and re-fill once more. (I took mine completely apart and in retrospect, don't see a need. )

You might be able to source a knife setting jig off e-bay.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
I ordered the parts for the knife setting jig from Grizzly for $8. Much less than ebay.

The upper half is cleaned, and I am starting on the table.