Bosch 1617EVSTB 2-1/4 HP router
After my last project I'm not happy with the clunky bit depth adjuster on my router, especially when using it as a table router. The adjuster works on a tooth and gear system. Rockler currently has the Bosch 1617 standard base router on sale for $150 - not significantly more than what I paid for mine several years ago. The adjuster is a threaded screwlike adjuster. The Bosch also can be adjusted from above the table top with a key.

If the 3-hole base plate matches up with my universal table insert (I haven't had a chance to check yet), I am tempted to buy the Bosch and dedicate it to my table. Take the other router and use it with its plunge base.

I would like to hear what experiences good and bad people have had with the Bosch 1617 router.

you may find that the rough elevation requires reaching under the table

I like the fine adjustment but have not used mine in a table

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

The Bosch fixed base has the same 3 hole pattern as the PC 690, so it will fit about anything with the 690 pattern. As Joe pointed out, you do have to do the coarse adjustment from below, and also have to reach under to loosen/fasten the latch for fine adjustment. I've drilled my plate for the "through the top" fine adjustment, but most of the time just do it with the knob--i'm already bent over to see the bit height anyway.

Since the 1617 uses the fixed base for table mount (as opposed to most makes suggesting the use of their plunge base for table use with springs removed), it's easy to remove the motor and pop it into the plunge base for hand work, so if you pick up the dual base kit, you've got some versatility. Not that hard to find the plunge base separately if you add it later.

I've got a good picture of the fixed base mounting holes, but don't have an image hosting web site--so i'm not sure how to post the pic straight from my computer (or if that's even possible).

Besides being a great router, the thinking behind the1617 bases impresses me. The self-releasing collets never have failed for me, and the customer service has a great reputation long after warranty (though i've not had to test that). I like mine a lot.

earl
I have one in my router table with the fixed base, and it fit in the same holes as for my PC690, as just mentioned. I bought the combo kit and like having that versatility. I may buy another fixed base for it, too, so I can just swap the motor back and forth as needed. The electronic speed control is very good. I drilled the hole for the above table adjustment capability, but like others never use it since you have to open/close the clamp down below anyway. One feature to point out is that the base opening is over 3-1/2" dia., larger than most, so you can use very large panel raising bits with it if that's of interest. I thicknessed some slabs with it recently, where it ran for half an hour straight, 5 minutes off, repeat, for a total of around 2 to 2-1/2 hours of run time. Did that routine about 3 times. Super smooth the whole time and never got very hot. The only thing I don't like about it is it's sometimes hard to get the motor aligned with the base so that it will slide in. It's nearly impossible to do it with the base mounted under the router table, so I have to flip the plate up out of the table. The old PC690 was a snap to do under the table.

John
I have mine dedicated to my woodhaven 6002 horizontal router table so no issue with below table adjustments. It works very very well and the electronic speed control is great!
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
The round wood handels have a diffrent feel from the molded handels found in other brands. It functions well, but you should check out in person how you like the feel.
My .02
Karl

Does anyone use this knob on their 1617 for under-table adjustments? How well does it work?

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B00005RHPO/...rikeco-20/
I bought one of these for my 1617 many moons ago:

and just last week mounted it on my brand new Woodpeckers plate:

They are awesome!
chris
I did ... until I changed the brand of router in my table. The knob worked very well for me for many years. I still use it with router but the router is no longer in a table.
DID ANYONE TAKE OFF THE HANDLES when mounting under the table?