Craftsman lathe
A friend gave me a 70's. Vintage 113.23800 lathe with 8 tools. I have cleaned it up and I am getting ready to turn. My question: is this lathe going to be more trouble than it is worth? I am a rank novice at turning, but would like to learn. There is a good support community in the area (NEWA) so i know I can reach out (have not yet).

My interests are just to beginto learn. If necessary, i can afford a decent new/used lathe.

Suggestions and feedback welcome!

Roger
Sounds to me like a good deal. You will learn how to turn, and you will learn what you want when you buy a lathe.

Be safe!
Welcome,
As said it is a good starting point. The lathe chisels also give you a chance to learn sharpening. Sharp tools is a big issue with this hobby and certainly makes it more enjoyable. With experience you can upgrade when you feel comfortable with any aspect of this great hobby from tools to accessories to different woods and projects.
Lathe won't be a problem at all. Soon you will want a bigger one and more turning stuff. The folks on here will be more than happy to help you spend your money. Buy a good face shield to start.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
http://www.turningtools.co.uk/index.html And read the book An Introduction To Woodturning to get yourself some knowledge vicariously, not through hard knocks.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I can turn 'functionally', self taught on an old and cheap Craftsman lathe and set of 8 Craftsman chisels. I'll suggest investing in some better chisels right off. Not because the Craftsman set won't get it done, but in my experience learning with those has necessitated learning all over again with 'good' chisels. That said, I still have some of the old ones and use them occasionally.
KC said:

I can turn 'functionally', self taught on an old and cheap Craftsman lathe and set of 8 Craftsman chisels. I'll suggest investing in some better chisels right off. Not because the Craftsman set won't get it done, but in my experience learning with those has necessitated learning all over again with 'good' chisels. That said, I still have some of the old ones and use them occasionally.

The high carbon tools are functionally identical to the same patterns in other alloys. They can be honed easily with slip and stone, something more difficult to accomplish on "wear-resistant" steels. I treasure my 30+ year old set of HCS tools for the final passes because of this capability. In case you don't normally watch him, Roy Underhill turns with Sears tools too.

Though some may still feel they're one expensive tool away from greatness, I've had that beaten out of me through the years. Have a bunch of nearly useless one-trick ponies recommended by others, too.
MichaelMouse said:

The high carbon tools are functionally identical to the same patterns in other alloys. They can be honed easily with slip and stone, something more difficult to accomplish on "wear-resistant" steels. I treasure my 30+ year old set of HCS tools for the final passes because of this capability. In case you don't normally watch him, Roy Underhill turns with Sears tools too.

Though some may still feel they're one expensive tool away from greatness, I've had that beaten out of me through the years. Have a bunch of nearly useless one-trick ponies recommended by others, too.

I've found the standard grinds on name brands (Sorby in particular) much more aggressive out of the box than what I was used to. Good once you get accustomed to them, but a big surprise if presented the same way as the others. For me anyway.
No doubt different grinds require different presentations. The wood will teach you which to use. As I said, "same pattern" will make the same result regardless the alloy.

Save those HCS tools. If you have forged gouges especially. The peel like no cylindrical ever hoped to.
Thanks guys. Turned my first test piece last night. One i got the spur center to not slip the roughing went well. Played a bit with a pine 2x2 about 6" long. Not too bad for a rank beginner.

I have a good set of sharpening skills for edged tools, chisels and plane blades, but not much experience with shaped edge tools. Any suggestions for basic sharpening of turning tools? The craftsman set says HSS not HCS.

Roger