Electrical Question
I am making an extension cord for a 20 amp 220 circuit. I have some 12 AWG cord with two hots and a ground.

I will be using a metal box for the outlet end where the jointer will plug in. So with this arrangement should I tie the ground to the metal box, or will the box be grounded by default since the outlet is screwed to the cover?
Why not use the cord to replace the one on the jointer and eliminate all the excess connections between current outlet and tool?
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
Self-grounding receptacles aren't enough in surface boxes with covers, as the receptacle is screwed to the cover which is screwed to the box, but only the receptacle to cover is bonded with the little spring tab of the self-grounding receptacle. Unless the receptacle is held to the cover with screws not passing through the self-grounding spring tab. So yes, bond the grounding conductor to the box.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Always bond the box.
Herb G said:

Always bond the box.

Yes always ground the box if it's a metal box. And you should be using so cord and a strain relief to make the best cord but that gets pricey.