Dirt cheap bandsaw guide upgrade
Sick and tired of ball bearing guide with just the tiny support area and tired of buying replacements I decided it was time to fix it.

Scrap white oak, 5/16" drill bit, 10 minutes work and a little soak in oil. Now I have roughly .23 square inches of contact compared to less than .001 square inches of contact area.

I have found how much a boat is used is inversely related to how much it weighs.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight kayaks

Looking at your last picture, appears the updated guides prevent you from getting good straight cuts!

Good idea and post...I do appreciate the pictures.
What type of oil did you use for the soak? Soak time? Dry time? Anticipated frequency for relube?
Any issues with dust collection or gumming?
Any issues with oil film transference to edges after cut?
If you continue to cut corners, you'll end up going in circles!

It's my thumb so I'll hit it if I want to!
Substitute aluminium plate and file some slots for a couple ceramic bars.
Does it create heat on your blade?

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Long term I guess he'll see. Novel idea though.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
I bet it will last a long time. Wood has been used for centuries for bearings, and it's still being used. Link

John
Very nice. I thought of going that route, but was concerned that the guides would tilt down and pinch the blade - though my guess is that doesn't happen in practice. I ended up going in a different direction - cut up some square tubing to hold wooden blanks in place, and attached them to the blade guides on my Grizzly GO513x2 a while ago, and seems to be working well.
In one f the bandsaw books they recommend embedding the small blade in hardwood like that for scrolling. Will this work good for general purpose use too?

I find the OEM Delta guides on my 14" are best. I too am unimpressed with roller guides and feel they are quite over rated.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
I would try it but I have a Craftsmen with the round cool blocks - I hate the way they work. But I think I can make something like that. I'll keep this in mind.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Ok,stupid question time. This keeps the blade from twisting while cutting corners? Is that an 1/8" blade in the picture?
Thanks