So.......I just learned something about my 14" Delta BS
Most probably saw that I am replacing my 14" Delta with the 20" Delta I just picked up. One of the reasons were it's inability to resaw hardwoods or just make heavy cuts without bogging the motor. I tried different style blades and improvements were minimal. Well after owning the saw for 9 or so years and it being one of my first tools when I was just starting out I realized I never tensioned the belt and and I also noticed the pulleys were way out of alignment . The only tension was from the weight of the motor, which wasn't near enough. Wow, I can't believe I never tore into this sooner, I always kept up with other adjustments, I guess I just figured the motor was a dog. After making the adjustments I was able to resaw a 5-6" piece of cherry in just a few seconds, which would have taken minutes prior. I swear you all to secrecy though, my wife needs to think I needed the new BS. Asking price of the old one just went up though, I was going to sell it cheap because I thought it was junk.

Bob
Bob, Bob, Bob, it's not junk. However; as a penitence for your sins, you must sell it to me at the lowered "junk" price.

I await your repentance,

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
The only tension on mine is from the weight of the motor, though it's a 1.5 HP one. Same on my Inca J/P.

John
You're making very good progress on your way up the learning curve!

I have climbed up that learning curve myself too though I learned the basic lessons on old farm tractors and farm implements.

Once you have gotten into that inquisitive problemsolving mindset you have got an incredible tool that will sort out lots of machine related problems for you throughout the rest of your life.
Suddenly all problems you may encounter with your new 20 inch Delta become manageable!

Keep going!
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
I only recently began wondering about the belt and just got to checking today. I saw a stud, fully backed off, hanging down with a rubber tip over the mounting plate when I looked under. It took me about a minute to, realize what it was and say to myself you dumb $@^, while I was taking off the pulley cover to investigate. I can't believe how well it cuts now. Now that it works well I need to figure what to sell it for and factor a dad discount, he wants first dibs. With all the blades I have with it and the mobile base I built I'm thinking I'd ask $350-400, on CL. That may be low, though, I have about a dozen blades.

Bob

Side note: Dean, if you read this, knock me up side the head the next time you see me at work.
Now that it works so well, instead of selling it you might want to keep it and use it with a narrow blade for curved cuts.

As TGW said, many problems with older machines are due to simple things. Figuring out what that is is the hard part, but if you are willing to spend the time to do so most machines perform surprisingly well, and the good ones often better than what you can buy new today. I'll bet your "new" bandsaw falls into that group.

John
Keep,it, I kept mine after getting a 19" Griz, glad I did too.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I don't have room for both and want the cash. I have a craftsman bench top one I can use for little work if needed.

Bob
I agree with what you said. Many people when chasing a problem swear it has to be the hardest most unheard of problem ever. They will never believe, kinda like the op, that lack of power can come from a belt slipping. I had a friend do much the same thing. Only he got as far as new motor, new blades still wouldn't work. He was using the most worn, cracked up belt that was so loose it could almost be installed as is over the pullies . yep that is how he installed the new motor. Sometimes when chasing problem we just get it in our head that it has to be something bad instead of something simple. He will like the bigger saw better anyway.
Restorer said:

I agree with what you said. Many people when chasing a problem swear it has to be the hardest most unheard of problem ever. They will never believe, kinda like the op, that lack of power can come from a belt slipping. I had a friend do much the same thing. Only he got as far as new motor, new blades still wouldn't work. He was using the most worn, cracked up belt that was so loose it could almost be installed as is over the pulleys . yep that is how he installed the new motor. Sometimes when chasing problem we just get it in our head that it has to be something bad instead of something simple. He will like the bigger saw better anyway.

It never really jumped out at me as the belt. When I would cut with it I would hear the motor die down, like it was bogged and I could hear and feel it bounce. To me it just seemed under powered I don't think it really ever slipped (never any rubber smell or smoke), I guess it was just losing the power from hopping. I can't believe I never checked before now. I've been all over the rest of my machines top to bottom. The blades and guides were always checked, I guess I just never really cared for it due to the cutting issues and always dreamed of a new one, so I didn't care too much.

Bob