ideas for tapering jig
Looking for pics of people's tapering jigs either shop built or purchased. Likes and dislikes of your jig. Thanks.
I don't need one often enough to justify making one. I always seem to have some scraps of MDF, plywood or Masonite around and when I need a tapering jig, I grab a piece and stick down some registration blocks in the right places with carpet tape. Takes only a couple of minutes to set up and works fine for me.

Rockler on the Bandsaw.
Ag
I bought this one because when it went on sale it was cheaper than the materials needed. But it's easy enough to make on your own. And you could use the kreg or bessey auto adjust clamps to make it even nicer.

I'm like Dave. I just use a scrap piece of plywood etc., screw a "fence" at to it at the back, and put a spacer in that corner equal to the taper I need. The work piece sits tight against the plywood at the top and the spacer at the back, and it stays that way w/o the need for clamps as you push it through the blade. Takes 5 minutes or less to make, any size you need, and takes up no space when you are done.

John
Come on guys, the store bought ones have trinkets on them. Certainly you can't compete with trinkets
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
You got me there. Next time I make one I'll put some shiny bits on it.
http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/searchR...jig&submit=

has a few different jigs. a video or two. some are free plans some are low cost plans. Once you see the pics I doubt you would need much more.
I sell plans for making your own on my website.

That being said, I actually use the MicroDial Taper Jig from MicroJig. It is spends at $130, but what it does that no other does is sets angles using pre-sets.

If you know the angle, you can set it to any pre-set from 0 to 10 degrees by eighths of a degree. 80 pre-sets.

If you don't know the angle, you can set by rise-run. 0-2" rise by 1/16th of an inch for 32 pre-sets.

Not only does this make setting up a lot faster, but you can re-create parts any time by using the same pre-sets. It also makes four-sided tapered legs easy because after sides 1 and 2 are cut, you can quickly double the angle using the pre-sets.

It is designed to use the GRR-RIPPER to hold small or narrow parts.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
I made the one shown in the sixth season of the Woodsmith Shop television program, which was from Shopnotes #114. I haven’t used it a lot, but it has worked well so far.

You can download it directly here. I don’t know how long this will be available, because August is apparently moving the formerly free plans from the earlier seasons of the TV show to a pay section.
Hank Gillette