BIL found a 3520B for me
It is not far from him. He went and looked at it and said it was nice and clean. BIL is a real nice guy, smart as all get out but doesn't know a flat tire from a good one when it comes to common sense.
It is almost a 6 hr. drive to go there. The guy wants $2750 for it and more for the chucks and extra tools.
I'm hesitant about the deal. I'm also looking at the new GO766 from Grizzly for half the money and I already have a couple chucks plus used but good tools.
Reading reviews on other sites are generally positive on the Grizzly. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Great lathe, price is a touch high, you can get one for $3500, new, with warranty when they are on sale.

I just checked and Rockler is claiming they will be selling them for 20% off on Black Friday, so that would be $3200.
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
2 years ago I walked away from a 3520A that I wanted bad because the owner was asking to much. It was the son of a friend of mine who'd helped me out a number of times when I started turning and had recently passed away. I really wanted it to remember him by. I had my check book with me and even went a couple hundred higher than my highest price going in. I decided, with LOMLWMBO encouragement, to get a new 3520B, then got laid off and put a hold on all big purchases.

I don't know anything about the Grizzly but I know you'll be happy with the PM.

Good luck
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
I have the 3520b with the 18" extension and I really like it.

You can buy the lathe and sell anything else you do not like. I am looking forward to seeing what you make.

Arlin

O an the motor is great and you can put anything on it and will not slow it down. Like any lathe make sure the feet are adjusted to make the bed flat.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I recently purchased the Grizzly G0766. I was apprehensive about buying it but decided it was the only way I could afford a lathe with these specs. I'm very happy with my purchase, it is well worth the $1,545 delivered to my door. I have had two Nova's, a dvr 3000 and a 1624-44, they are both well built lathes, but I would choose the 0766 again in a minute. It has a ton of power, stays put on the floor while turning large bowls and I love the variable speed. I had to have my coring jig modified to fit this lathe, got to try it this weekend, the lathe handled it like a pro. I think the Powermatic is a better built lathe though I have never used one. I'm sure the Powermatic will hold better resale value but the grizzly fit my budget.
That is good news to hear about the Grizzly.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
J Lilley said:

I recently purchased the Grizzly G0766. ...

By now you should have been notified that the replacement banjo has been shipped
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
Yes...I should have mine Friday.
I called the man and told him I would pass on his lathe. He said he has had several look at it and had a couple low ball offers. He said he can be patient and when it sells it sells.

We go south for the winter and I could not justify the money for using only 7 or 8 months out of the year. I'm pretty certain I'll go with the Grizzly for delivery in the spring.

Thanks for the replies.