Lingerie Chest: Designing the Drawers
This is the start of the second stage in this build. Now that the carcase and drawer blades/runners are completed, it is time to start on the drawers.

The drawers are complex as they call for compound angles and dovetails. The design may be improved, and I welcome comments about this and the methodology.

This chapter provides a pictorial on the design and construction I have come up with so far. Pine is used in this test case (where Jarrah fronts and Tasmanian Oak sides will be used in the final build). However, the construction is for real.

The link is here (too many photos to post on the forum): http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/D...awers.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Looks nice.

What is the slope at back top of drawer for?
The sides of the chest curve. The sides of the drawer curve to fit it, front and back. The angles are the first step, then they are coped to fit the sides.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
In the second to last image the drawer sides are tapered (shaped) down to the top of the back. Just wondered if the back blades/rails were oversize. Or, perhaps, it shows premature wear....

But it is only a test drawer back.
Sorry Bruce, I misread your question. The slope at the rear of the sides aids in fitting the drawers. It is also a finishing detail to the lower rear panel.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Derek nice looking project, great job.

Steve