Christmas gifts?
Usually by now there's a few posts on what Christmas projects you guys are making. Are you guys slacking like me or late . I'm just need some inspiration to get moving
Please inspire me with your creations.
Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently. "HF"
the two items i put in the auction are duplicates of christmas gifts.got a flag display case i gotta cut glass for and get a finish on.have quite a few i havent started kn yet. it doesnt seem to matter when i start im usually still working christmas eve on a gift.
I have a blanket chest for my daughter and a keepsake box for my mother. Hopefully they will both be done in time.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

1. I'm making about 20 ornaments. 3-d scroll saw. I'll post them when I get done. It's something I have been giving out for the past few years.

2. A&C bed side tables for #1

3. Break down book case. for #3

4. Head board for #2. This will be done after Christmas.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.

First project I've worked on since last spring. It's the AC130 project in the last issue of Wood magazine. I'm building it for my friends little boy, and hopefully get it finished this week. I was also asked to build a piano bench for my SIL for Xmas. Should have time, but we'll see. . . .
Luke

Long grain cutting boards. Quick, easy, and you can use your cut offs. I tend to use wider board so no glue ups. If you use glue ups, i'd recommend titebond III or DAP wood plastic resin.

Round the corners, route an easy profile, ROS to 150 and coat with a mixture of mineral oil and wax (I use regular canning wax melted in the MO).

you can get fancy and make ones with handles.

I make 15-20 a year and give them away. It takes a weekend to make them all (without glue ups) Folks love them - and I have a few people who actually ask for new one each year. Others use them for serving meats and cheeses.

If you have a brand, use it before the finish.

I tend to like the walnut ones these days, but that's also because I have a lot of walnut cut offs from my last project and some walnut that I had already joined and planed.

You can take care of a lot of folks with some quick gifts in a weekend. The sapwood and the defects in the wood just give the boards more character.

FWIW I also made edge grain cutting boards. LOTS more work. Same level of appreciation from those getting these long grain boards as gifts.
Tools that are no good require greater skill.
rhino said:

FWIW I also made edge grain cutting boards. LOTS more work. Same level of appreciation from those getting these long grain boards as gifts.

That's a really good point right there!

Do you find adding the wax makes the finish last longer before needing a refresh? I've just been using straight mineral oil.
Benny

I did find that the wax kept the surface in better shape longer.

I shaved some canning wax with a knife and dropped the shavings into a pickle jar and then filled with MO. Microwaved it for a bit, let it sit, then poured it on and wiped it around, let it sit overnight, wipe off the excess and either repeat or flip the boards.

Most of the folks I have given the boards to use them for serving more than for cutting, so the wax really helps keep things looking good for a long time. Those that use it as a cutting board are more interested in cutting than making it look pretty imho
Tools that are no good require greater skill.
I'm working on a wine rack for my daughter, a two drawer file cabinet for my boy to go with the desk we built together over the summer, and 3 mantel clocks for my parents and in-laws.
A wise man once said, "All woodworkers make mistakes. A good woodworker can hide them."
rhino said:

Years ago I made some very nice edge grain cutting boards using a complicated pattern and expensive hardwoods. I gave them out as gifts. A few months later one recipient called and said they loved it but it fell apart. Found out they used it every day.....and then cleaned it daily by putting it in the dishwasher! .
Telling a man he has too many tools,
is like telling a woman she has too many shoes.