Over The Range Microwaves
Seems I can't talk my wife into buying a countertop model---she's insisting on the over the range type. We all know most of them have a bad reputation as an exhaust fan.

Does anyone know of a model/brand with good exhaust ventilation?
Dave
the problem I see is the outsized replacement cost. Countertop models have gotten really cheap. However, I guess this sort of argument is pointless at this juncture
I have an ~$280 Samsung model purchased 2 years agl which is horribly loud at exhaust yet seems to honestly do nothing whatsoever. I'd say it's equivalent to a shop vac with a 1\2" hose over the range... so best of luck to you.
Most over the range microwaves I have installed or had to trouble shoot for poor exhaust ventilation were due to the fact no one read the directions and reconfigured the blower fan from circulation thru the internal charcoal filters to a true exhaust either out the back or the top.
"...cuttin' your presidency off right now. Just quit. Because if this is you helpin' us, then stop helpin' us."
Never seen a good over the range unit. All seem to be apartment or rental unit quality regardless of cost. If you have to go that route head to depot and get the sale ones they have right now as they are as good as any others.

I'm not a fan of them for a vent to a microwave. Too high for a microwave and too low for a vent and too little airflow. And those drawer microwaves are a fad but great for drumming up business for chiropractors. I plan to build something to get ours about 6-8" or so above the countertop.
We replaced the Maytag that came with the house with a Samsung a few weeks ago. The vent fan on the Samsung is a big improvement over the other, IMO. We got along just fine without an over the range for years and years in another house, but if the cabinets are built for one you pretty much put one back or get to woodworking.
I also replaced our Kenmore with a Samsung. The fan is loud, but if it was vented out it would move some air...ours isn't vented but still blows (in a good way) fairly hard. Did I mention: the fan is loud! BTW, for an over range model, this one seems to have a larger interior; at least a lot larger than our last one. But in a nutshell: over range microwaves suck! (IMHO).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Reviews I read on ours also mentioned the fan was loud, but it doesn't seem any louder to me than the Maytag. And I guess I wouldn't mind anyway... as long as it's not a 'rattling' loud. Like the cheapie bathroom vent fans!
OTR microwave ovens are notoriously poor ventilators and have low reliability for their ridiculously high price. A lot of the all-gas ranges available on the market today emulate pro-ranges look and have high BTU output burners which can make the OTR micro really show its weakness. If you have one of these types of ranges I would really, really think twice before going this route. Be sure to measure the finished height you will have from the top of range to bottom of micro. There are minimum height restrictions you need to be aware of for the unit.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
I think they are noisy and inefficient. We seldom ever use our fan. The microwave portion gets constant use. I put ours in because I thought it looked nice and complemented the range.