YA lathe
I bought a batch of woodworking tools a while back, included in them was a York American lathe. It had been converted to single phase. It has the more square base than the one in this thread: http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads...=&fpart=all

manual

The manual doesn't list the threads for the headstock, what are the likely candidates?
Why don't you measure it?
It's 1-1/8 x 8 tpi and the spindle is recessed in the headstock a bit. I just bought new bearings and belts for mine and they are not cheap.
I know the voices aren't real but man do they have some great ideas !

People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet
thanks, does the recess cause problems with faceplates/chucks?

Hopefully mine doesn't need any belts or bearings. I need to get power over to it, so I haven't been following the advise on the nameplate to run it through the speeds every day.
That would be a YATES American lathe.
I have Yates/Broadhead Garret face plates and at least one oliver face plate. I had to relieve the back corners of one face plate so the edges of the flats didn't rub in the recess. Original face plates have a short round section before the flats so there is no rubbing inside the recess. I didn't bother exploring chuck options and just went with Oneway's Stronghold chuck since they make an insert specifically for that lathe for it. I also have their Versa-Mount universal system for face plates since it uses the Stronghold's inserts.

FYI Bearings for this lathe just cost me $86.42 + shipping . I found the belts on Ebay (new gates made in the us) for $47.50 a pair shipped otherwise the belts are around $35 or so each. The original belt is supposedly no longer made and the replacement is 1626v304 variable speed belt. The bearings are 63307's and the front must have a snap ring on it. (63307's are 35mm bore x 80mm outer x 34.9mm wide) Some places want $100 for the front bearing.
The tool posts are 1-1/4" in diameter.

People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet
Herebrooks said:

That would be a YATES American lathe.

Yates American J170 which eventually became a Broadhead Garret lathe when Yates dropped the home and school machines.

Stronghold chuck insert for Yates ( extends back into the recess)

Original faceplate

Versa Mount system

This face plate is identical to original face plates except no round section that extends into the recess.

Thanks Brian, very helpful

I have the original faceplate.  Need to get a spur center and a chuck.

On a lathe like this, how would you eject a Morse Taper spur center?
youtube to the rescue, knock the thing out from the backside.  I thought I had lost the spur center, but it turns out that the faceplate and the spur center are both mounted right now. 

Still looking for a tool rest to get started with, I didn't realize that's an uncommon banjo size.  I guess I can just make a spacer without too much issue