Code for water heater access?
Can't find anything that addresses this...

Water heater is in the garage with a 56" space between the closet and the wall behind it, which is the entry hall. There's no coat closet in the hall, and I'm wondering why I shouldn't put one in, utilizing the space in that garage alcove, which is 56" by nearly 8' long. The entry hall from the garage is something over 10' long and we have a series of coat hooks there now... dusty in a house full of dogs. Not entirely sure why they chose to place the door the way they did, because the hallway is useless. I'd move the whole entry door and create more space in the garage if it weren't for the drop down of the slab (and I guess I could do it anyway and just put some cabinets on the raised portion that used to be hallway)... but the real question is how much more clearance do I really NEED beyond getting the WH closet door open, and is it specified in building code somewhere I'm not seeing?
Your code may be different. I have to leave 2' in front for servicing. You also need a combustion air supply for a gas heater in an enclosed space.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

2' in addition to what's required to open the door? Because that would be right around the 56" that's there (32" door)...

Not wanting to move the water heater.
Nope. The 2' is door open or closed. It can swing through that space.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Thanks.