River City Hardwoods in Iowa?
I am looking for hardwood in and around Iowa.

Has anyone shopped at River City Hardwoods in Muscatine, Iowa?

Do they have a good selection of cherry?

Do they let you select your own boards?

I know, call them, but they closed, just wondering if anyone has been there and can give me a review.

Thanks!

Other area hardwood supplier tips appreciated.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
Look like you can select for a 10% adder

http://www.rivercityhardwoods.com/retail...mber-sales
Yes, I saw that. Just wondering if that is a normally accepted practice.

I got burned once letting the mill select my lumber.

Never again.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
I don't know how far you can travel but Ericson Log & Lumber Co. in Windsor, IL is just South of the QCA . It is my favorite "Candy Store". Great selection of local hardwoods of all types ... not cheap but fair prices.

J L Carver Lumber in Princeton, IA is also a mill. The always have a lot of RO, WO, Cherry, Maple, Walnut & Sycamore. Really good prices but usually all flat sawn.

Good Luck,

Red
Hill Hardwoods in West Branch has a great selection and will let you choose your own boards at no additional cost. He'll drop down a pallet and knock yourself out.

Haven't ever been to the one in Muscatine.
I've been to Ericson, many times.

I never leave empty handed.

Just looking to broaden my horizon.

I am always on the lookout for wide cherry, but this trip I also need some hard maple to make a workbench.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
When you say "in and around Iowa" that takes in a lot of territory. My go to place is Johnson Creek Hardwoods in Mt. Carroll, IL. Kind of hard to find the first time, but beautifully prepared boards and good prices. Inventory availability can vary, as well as open hours, so call ahead.

Link.
A retirement dedicated to fine woodworking and bad golf.
i dont have any advise for ya, but when these threads come up i get an adrenaline rush going to the websites of these places!
yeah, im one if them extreme sports guys.
My deer camp is in SE Iowa. If I leave a couple days early, I can go anywhere in SE Iowa and IL is not out of limits.

I made my post encompass a lot of area on purpose, so I could get new places to try.

I looked at the place you recommended. Found them on Woodfinder, and sent them an email yesterday. I should have an answer today about current inventory.

Mt. Carroll is certainly within range.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
If you're in southern Iowa, you won't find a better deal than the Amish sawmills near Bloomfield Iowa. I can't give you a name, but I've been there twice. Got 100 bd ft of S2S hard maple - great boards, various widths, all 8 ft plus. Total was $125.

Also went back to buy 100 bd ft of Walnut, no knots. About $200 or so. Cash only for the Amish place.

Another place I like now that I moved up north a bit is in Winthrop, IA. Great sawmill there run by a longtime family. Wieland and sons lumber. Fair prices for all lumber, and they let you select your boards. Cash or plastic.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing...