Need Some Help Determining Plane Type
This nice old Stanley #8C is giving me fits trying to determine plane type. Rather than trying to explain what I've searched through, I'll just give the pictures of criteria used in determining type.

1. Low knob with No 8 in front of the knob - No and 8 close together.

2. B cast under the tote and on the reverse of the lever cap.

3. Two-piece lateral lever with one patent date - 7.24.88

And just to show more of the condition of this plane, here are pictures of the original unbroken tote with the original finish - only been wiped down with furniture polish.

OK ladies and gentlemen, help and old guy out here - what type plane do I have?

r2
Hmm,...the frog has a fully machined face,...right? Any adjustment knob on the frog? I'm assuming it doesn't. And no Patent date or raised ring at the knob........hmmmmm

Low knob,...but the tote doesn't have that have that "hump" that super early totes like the one on that Round sided Bedrock I flipped several years ago.

According to the Stanley Bench Plane Dating flow chart it looks like a Type 8-9 (Planes made by Stanley 1899-1907)
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Blacky's Boy said:

Hmm,...the frog has a fully machined face,...right? Any adjustment knob on the frog? I'm assuming it doesn't. And no Patent date or raised ring at the knob........hmmmmm

Low knob,...but the tote doesn't have that have that "hump" that super early totes like the one on that Round sided Bedrock I flipped several years ago.

According to the Stanley Bench Plane Dating flow chart it looks like a Type 8-9 (Planes made by Stanley 1899-1907)

Well, Type 8 - 9 is what I've thought thus far, but the No 8 just in front of the knob, and being close together suggests sometime before Type 7!

Anyway, here are pics of the frog and the frog mount.

r2
Can we get pics of the frog, and the logo on the blade? Also, are there any other markings behind the frog (dates or whatever)?
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
AHill said:

Can we get pics of the frog, and the logo on the blade? Also, are there any other markings behind the frog (dates or whatever)?

Here's the logo on the blade - I thought I had included it - my apologies.

There is nothing cast behind the frog, and no adjustment screw.

Tell me what view you want of the frog.

r2
According to the type study, it's a type 8, ca. 1899-1902. The B foundry marks are consistent with this type. Remember that the type study is just a guide, and not definitive. There are always variations from the type. This looks like a solid type 8 though.
www.hyperkitten.com Funny Name, Good Stuff.

Old Tools, Woodworking, Blog, Tools for Sale.

JClark said:

According to the type study, it's a type 8, ca. 1899-1902. The B foundry marks are consistent with this type. Remember that the type study is just a guide, and not definitive. There are always variations from the type. This looks like a solid type 8 though.

Thanks Josh. I'm sure that you've looked at enough to make that determination. Now, to finish cleaning this one. It'll be nice!

r2
lilrichard2 said:

[blockquote]JClark said:

Thanks Josh. I'm sure that you've looked at enough to make that determination. Now, to finish cleaning this one. It'll be nice!

r2

[/blockquote]

I concur. I've always liked the shape of the tote, sort of fatter on the bottom, on those type 8's, they show up on 6 and 7s as well.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis