PSA: Portamate Lumber Storage Rack $40 @ Lowes
I had planned on making my own rack, but for $40 I think this is worth picking up. Anyone have experience with the horizontal spacing? I'd like to be able to support 8' boards but I have plenty of shorter 3-5' lengths as well. I suppose I could buy one set and then add on another if necessary.
I have a couple of these up in my shop. I spaced the wall supports 4' apart and have no problem with boards 8" or even longer. I don't remember if the lag screws came with the kit or if I had to buy them, but I used 3" lag screws.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
For those of you that have this rack system, it looks like it has only two upright brackets, correct? Are only two vertical brackets enough to provide adequate support for longer pieces of material?

Seems like more vertical support brackets would make this much more versatile.

Doug
It does only have two vertical posts, but I find it quite adequate. I have two that are installed with the uprights 4' apart. One holds some lumber and the other holds about 125-150 planes.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Tapper said:

For those of you that have this rack system, it looks like it has only two upright brackets, correct? Are only two vertical brackets enough to provide adequate support for longer pieces of material?

Seems like more vertical support brackets would make this much more versatile.

Doug

There's a decent amount of room. This isn't my main lumber rack, but I load it up without fear. This is 5/4 cherry (4 or 5 feet long) -- there were a couple more boards until recently -- miscellaneous project wood, and my Unisaw fence rails on the top. Strength doesn't seem to be an issue on this scale, but there is only so much room between the shelf bars.

The sag on the bottom is due to the skimpy 1/4" plywood shelf I threw on there.

I like this rack a lot. I'll probably pick up a second if Santa is generous this year.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Not sure if its advisable, but I've always used standards like this: https://www.menards.com/main/wall-mounte...44436994959.htm

And the shelf arms for storing lumber. I've loaded them pretty heavy too.
I have it. I did the same thing with plywood on the bottom, but I just screwed a couple small pieces of 1-by under it to stiffen it up. Makes a good shelf for shorter boards. I spaced mine based on the studs in the wall.
Benny

+1 on the two posts. I bought three kits though, so I installed them 3 bars wide and I can fully support long and short boards.

To answer an earlier question; yes they mount to a wall.

Bob
I think that three uprights would be perfect with 32" spacing...that would hit every other stud, give full support for 8' boards and allow 3' boards to be supported without anything underneath. Anyone want an extra upright if I buy two sets?
I have had them for years I think I only paid $20 for both sets. Really like them, but the price went up and I started using the Menard's by Sterling. Rockler sells a set on sale for $25 but the Green store usually has the parts cheaper. I'm switching now to https://www.knapeandvogt.com/85185-series I just need to buy the wall standard. I picked up several boxes of just the self bracket for Pennies when 7 Corners Hardware closed up shop. I tried adapting them to the Sterling system but the spacing is all wrong. I'm sure you will find a use for the other bracket. Dan