Vise for Powermatic DP
I don't do a lot of metalwork on my drill press, but maybe 10% of the time it would be nice to have a vise mounted on the DP table. The Powermatic table has slots front to back rather than the more typical cross pattern. What's the best way to mount a vise on this table for ease of removal as well as stability? I'm guessing any kind of intermediate mounting board is going to reduce accuracy/rigidity to some extent.

Recommendations for a vise are also appreciated.
What vise are you wanting to mount? That will determine mounting options.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

BloomingtonMike said:

What vise are you wanting to mount? That will determine mounting options.

I haven't purchased one yet, but would prefer one that has adjustment to move the workpiece in both directions rather than just clamp it in a fixed position.
Have you considered a X/Y table and then a Vise for that?

I use a Mill drill for a DP and then have a table that mounts in my vise for more WW related tasks.

With a T slot table you can use a CNC milling vise that can be mounted on 3 different planes/faces.

Asia has some import vises that wont break the bank like Kurt or Chick.

To your vise mounting slot concern, once you have your vise or table positioned you can drill and tap CI very easily.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

BloomingtonMike said:

Have you considered a X/Y table and then a Vise for that?

I haven't looked into it, but sounds expensive.
There's some good information in this thread. Scroll down to lilredex's reply. One of his vises is mounted on a slide table.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showt...hp?t=64954