Tracing electrical outlets to breaker's
I know there is an instrument for this, just wondering what is the best one and which one's to avoid. I need to trace some outlets in my shop to the breakers they come from.

Thanks,

Jerry
there was a relatively recent thread about this. Don't remember what the subject was. I use a radio on really loud so I can hear it go off from the breaker box
I had this one and in the spaghetti that is my main panel, it couldn't get within 4 slots of the correct breaker (or even which side the breaker was on). If I ever find it again (I have the receiver, can't find the transmitter) a Woodnetter asked for it. Maybe the more expensive ones work better, or maybe if your panel is organized it might work.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Don't waste your money. The radio trick works fine. If the panel is too far away then a friend or relative works too. Cost you a beer.
John T.
I used a radio and a baby monitor...If the radio turned off, it was one circuit, if the baby monitor went to static, it was another...
EricU said:

there was a relatively recent thread about this. Don't remember what the subject was. I use a radio on really loud so I can hear it go off from the breaker box

Ditto. Once you get going, its not hard and it gets easier as you go and eliminate circuits.

I make a map of everything electrical in the house and then, as I go, I annotate with the circuit number. You start to see patterns right away.

And, its fool proof.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Mr_Mike said:

[blockquote]EricU said:

Ditto. Once you get going, its not hard and it gets easier as you go and eliminate circuits.

I make a map of everything electrical in the house and then, as I go, I annotate with the circuit number. You start to see patterns right away.

And, its fool proof.

[/blockquote]

I'll call you on the last point. Somebody will always rise to the occasion.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

fredhargis said:

I had this one and in the spaghetti that is my main panel, it couldn't get within 4 slots of the correct breaker (or even which side the breaker was on). ...... Maybe the more expensive ones work better, or maybe if your panel is organized it might work.

I have the same one, and on first try it alerted to within a breaker or two, which obviously isn't good enough.
I removed the cover and ran it to the wires as it entered the breaker lugs; it alerted to the correct breaker each time.

PS, had to do this AFTER my wife drove our dog to another house. On my first attempt the alarm made him so nervous he almost clawed his way through the front door screen. He would not come back in, we had to carry him in.
EatenByLimestone said:

[blockquote]Mr_Mike said:

[blockquote]EricU said:

And, its fool proof.

[/blockquote]

I'll call you on the last point. Somebody will always rise to the occasion.

[/blockquote]

You referring to anyone in particular?
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy