Scroll Sawers
I've got a possible line on a used RBI Hawk 26" scroll saw.

From what I can see they seem like a quality tool that is made in the USA. Are there any gotchas I should look out for when I see it in person?
Peter Brown

I can fix that...

shop-time.net
If it's a good price, get it.
I use a vintage Delta 24", but I see where a lot of people like the RBI.
Good rep. I wanted one but couldn't afford it.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
After I got my used Hawk, I found that changing the blade was a hassle. To solve this, I put a quick-change upper blade clamp on it from these nice folks. Very much better. The other thing I found was that it runs A LOT smoother than my Power King, vintage 1942, or even my neighbor's DeWalt. I think you will be happy with it.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
I got mine for $200. Took several years to find one that cheap. They crop up around $500 all the time in Seattle but don't seem to sell.
I have an RBI.....I like it a lot.

Got mine from a guy that inherited it from his uncle that passed...and had no clue what it was worth. One of my few being at the right place at the right time finds.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

If it's the later model with the variable speed control, I had read some reports of them failing. You can get it repaired or replaced, but it's quite expensive. That didn't deter me, I bought a 220 VS last summer. I'm not much of a scroller, but it is a very nice saw...and worth the gamble. Mine was made in 1998 (RBI told me that) and thought the company has changed hands a couple of times, the are still open and helpful. The manuals are still available on line for them as well. I'd say go for it, if the price s right.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
RBI is probably in the top 5 of quality scroll saws. There is also Hegner, Excalibur, there is one company that begins with "S" but i'm drawing a blank right now. If it is a reasonable price you will be happy with it.
Matthew Williams said:

I got mine for $200. Took several years to find one that cheap. They crop up around $500 all the time in Seattle but don't seem to sell.

Yeah, this one is up for $450.
Peter Brown

I can fix that...

shop-time.net
Thank you all for the input!

I really do appreciate it.
Peter Brown

I can fix that...

shop-time.net