Question for you guys who also do flatwork....
I didn't think we would be moving again, but best laid plans etc., etc. Anyway, LOML is scouting for houses, and found one she really likes (again). This one is a nice property, but doesn't have a detached building for a shop...though it does have an extremely roomy basement. I won't put my flatwork tools down there....but was considering the possibility of having my lathe in the basement. The other stuff would be in a detached shop which would need to be built. So here's the question: do any of you have the turning stuff somewhere away from the flatwork stuff? Would a set up like that be workable without too much grief? For the record, a basement shop is out (as far as I'm concerned) for the table saw/DC/planer and so on. Too much noise and I like to work early in the morning....there's some other reasons, but that's the overwhelming one.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I bought my late from a guy with two separate shops. Flat work was in his garage shop; lathe was in a dedicated air-conditioned shop. He seemed happy with the arrangement.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Just my $0.02 worth but I can see a number of things that would drive me nuts having them separated.

1) Dust collection - I have a cyclone system with a drop at my lathe. I'd have to buy a second DC for the basement.

2) The hassle of having thing separate. Your BS is in the shop and you want to trim a bowl blank. You get the blank trimmed, get it on the lathe and there's a problem and you can't use it. You go back out to the shop to cut another one. Rinse and repeat. That may not seem like such a big deal now, but wait until it happens X number of times.

3) As you get older, those basement stairs may get to be a pain (literally and figuratively). Right now I don't have issues but I foresee in 20+ years (I hope longer) my current bad knees really starting to make stairs and issue.

I don't know how large your lathe is, but just getting it down to the basement may be an issue. People have done it, I just see that as 1 more problem.

If you're going to build a shop, just plan on an area for your lathe. It shouldn't cost that much more to add another 50sqft or so to accommodate it.
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
I think it depends largely on the type of turning you intend to do. Bowls, deep forms? It should fine being separated as it's seldom other tools are used with the possible exception of your band saw. If you intend to do a lot of spindle work, ornaments, segmented, or similar turnings I think there will be lots of back and forth between spaces.
Steve K

I do not have any advise but I hate moving and I hope she now has a forever place so you can build a nice shop you will love.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Arlin Eastman said:

I do not have any advise but I hate moving and I hope she now has a forever place so you can build a nice shop you will love.

Arlin

You and me both, Arlin. At age 67 moving is right at the top of things to avoid.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Fred,
I have a full shop set up in my basement. 3hp SawStop w/ PC 3 1/2 hp router, 15" planer, 17" BS, 3520 lathe and other small stuff. I love my shop and noise is not an issue because the floor is insulated. My wife, while not a complainer, can do anything she wants regardless of which tool I'm running downstairs. My DC is a 1 1/2hp Delta that is right under the family room where she spends a lot of time, it has never been an issue. Now that I think about it, all the noise makers are under the family room or very close. True, lugging stuff down is a PITA but I have a good friend that is a whiz at moving things. He and I have moved everything ourselves. Plus other trades in and out.

What I'm saying is don't rule out a basement shop just because of noise, it has a lot of benefits. Just walk down the steps and go to work. No rain, snow, cold or heat to walk thru. My shop is warm enough as it is, stays generally 60 in the coldest Maine winter and up to about 68 in the summer.

Whether or not you woodwork in the basement, consider getting your rim joist spray foamed before moving in. We did a few years ago and it was the most cost effective energy saving dollars we've ever spent. Period.

There's a lot more positives, PM me your phone # if you like, I'll be happy to call and discuss.
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
I had a basement shop before I had my now shop. It is much better to have it upstairs, and in a detached shop if it is at all possible. I have a 24 by 36 pole barn, with full flat work tools, one big lathe (Beauty), one medium lathe (Liberty), and one mini lathe. I really could use 3,000 or so for all I really want to do, and for every thing to have a fixed location rather than being on wheels...

robo hippy
I echo the comments of the others, and add my 2 cents:

Dust collection cannot be overlooked. More so than with flat work, sanding on the lathe creates LOTS of dust, and you will need some way to capture that, or it'll get all over your basement.

If you do pens, you'll need to drill blanks upstairs or do it on the lathe with a chuck in the tail stock. Same for prepping bowl blanks.

I use some of the same tools for flat work as for lathe work - mostly in the marking and measuring category. Keep that in mind. Do you want duplicate tools or do you want to keep hauling them up and down the stairs?
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
All good input, thanks guys. I had given passing thought to the DC...and I would probably have to get another unit for the lathe should this come to pass. I can see some of the disadvantages, but am not (yet) convinced they are insurmountable; still you all have provided some good points to think about.