Is this Western Red Cedar?
I made this storm and screen door for my house a couple of years ago. Would like to make another one for a second door. I think it is red cedar but I an not certain. What do you think?

" />

" />
Might be, but I'm doubtful. This door is WRC -

I imagine you can find clear cedar, but it isn't what I usually see. Grain looks different to me as well. How soft is it? You should be able to dent WRC with a thumbnail without much effort.

Phil
Here's some clear Western Red Cedar, heartwood, unfinished. The sapwood is quite pale. What kind of finish did you use on the door (very nice door, by the way)? WRC can darken a lot when you finish it.

True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
I think it could be redwood, but I don't have much to back that up on. I've got some redwood that has similar graining, and it seems more dense than WRC.
Are you building a boat? Very cool if I had a large shop here would be one in it.

BaileyNo5 said:

Here's some clear Western Red Cedar, heartwood, unfinished. The sapwood is quite pale. What kind of finish did you use on the door (very nice door, by the way)? WRC can darken a lot when you finish it.

CaptainRob said:

Are you building a boat? Very cool if I had a large shop here would be one in it.

Already did......built a 17.5' Greenland style kayak about 10 years ago. Did it in my garage, which was only about 24' long.
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
It is hard to know from your picture. WRC would work well with the existing door. The kayak strip wood cedar is very typical of older growth clear heartwood. The knotty door sample is young, juvenile wood and a knotty grade from the canopied section.

WRC does not typically show the mahogany-type (stripe) patterns you have. A dead give away is the fragrance, which will effervesce by sanding or scratching to fresh wood. However, grain and colors are influenced by growing locale and age; even when harvested years after death.

Redwood does not have fragrance, but the wood looks very similar to WRC. I have some that turns nearly black when wetted.

Another I am seeing lately is called Incense Cedar. I am pretty sure it is Calocedrus decurrens. A lighter yellow, and brownish unfinished color. Oddly, I have not smelled fragrance in the large stacks I see.

We get very little East Coast/Eastern cedars. The only one I recognize has leads imbedded in it.
Thanks for the feedback everyone.
I probably should have said that the door is finished with Waterlox. Has held up well, but probably had a significant effect on the color and makes it difficult to test for aroma or density.
I'll start calling local (Philadelphia) lumber yards to see if I can find clear WRC.

What did it smell like when you made the door? WRC is distinct smell wise. Also, it is pretty light in weight, and it is soft - dents pretty easily.
From the pics, I would 99.5% say it is not WRC.I am in the heart of WRC country, and have seen many things made with it.
Good luck.
ronkan said:

I'll start calling local (Philadelphia) lumber yards to see if I can find clear WRC.

Hi ronkan

I didn't notice that you are in Philly. I doubt there is any clear WRC laying around anywhere in your area. I'm in the west, and to get my clear WRC I had to go to a lumber yard that specializes in cedar. And even then I had to special order it. I was looking for 1"x12"x16' planks tho, which are pretty big. Smaller planks might be more available.