Picture hanging D-rings
Not a question as much as it is a rant.

I have noticed in the past few years (my wife's an art addict) that the D-rings included with framed art are getting cheaper and cheaper. Well, I guess everything is getting cheaper. Almost everything now, even practically weightless art prints, say not to use wire to hang from the D-ring.

The reason for this is apparently twofold, at least. The included D-rings are INCREDIBLY flimsy, and the two pieces of metal (shown here) are getting thinner and thinner. It's to the point where merely hanging a three-pound picture will cause these things to bend - they actually fold over on themselves.

The other problem is that nobody (other than us, apparently) uses wood any more. All of the modern frames are some sort of composite with veneer. I don't even know what it is. It's not really particle board, but something else entirely...almost like a recycled plastic. It doesn't hold screws very well, but it would hold well enough with proper threads. It also tends to be thin, so the screws used are too short.

I guess anything to save a buck. It's just annoying having to buy "proper" D-rings, remove the old ones, fill the holes with glue, and use my own coarse thread screws every time my wife brings home a new art print.

There was a time when things were not, as my home builder called it "value engineered" in this country.

Man, I feel old.
When my parent's used to do the starving artists shows and made picturesque hand painted boards, my dad used the ring tops off of the beer and soda cans. They were very strong and re-enforced his need to consume his favorite beverage.
Perhaps the frame and hooks are regarded as packaging by the artist.

If the art had any value, I would replace the packaging with a real frame.
Economics is much harder when you use real money.