Pine keepsake box
My wifes Grandmother is a very nice little old lady and very spunky for 81. She is also extremely appreciative of all she gets. She was living in what was left of an old farm house that was just draining her of money, due to heat loss and up keep. She receives little help from her own children, except from her daughter (my MIL) and my FIL. Once they discovered the house was no longer healthy to live in, due to mold, my FIL quickly built her a nice little place next to it. Some of the trim and beams were saved, form the old house and I took a few pieces to make her something with.

I made a pen/pencil set earlier this year out of it and finally got the keepsake box done and gave it to her, before Thanksgiving dinner.

The trim started out as 7/8"+ painted trim. My wife said she is allergic to certain fragrances and finishes, so I left this natural except for burnishing it all over with a handful of pine shavings, from the hand plane. I wanted to practice some more inlay and since she is religious I added a cherry cross and inlaid a cherry thumb catch for ease of opening. I also used offset magnets to keep it closed and to help pull it closed. She was very pleased with it and kept thanking me over the past two days.

Thanks for looking
Bob
Nice work and good on ya for thinking of her!
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
Her smile says it all. Looks like you have a happy customer.
Good on you

That smile says a lot
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Steve N said:

Good on you

That smile says a lot

+1 Outstanding Bob!!

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
The best kind of gift.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
Thanks guys. I had been dying to show it to her. She had been over for the kids birthday parties and it was still unfinished and it took a lot not to show her the progress. Family and memories mean a lot to her and I wanted her to have something of the old house. It was pretty emotional for her to realize how bad it was there and how how awesome the new place is, that my FIL built. She moved in there a couple years ago and she still talks about how grateful and lucky she is to have someone to make her such a nice home.

Bob
Nice gift, and she seems pleased with the result. Can you explain why the sliding lid is square but you left the miters on the sides?
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I just started making these boxes, the first was my daughters. I was just trying to build something simple and quick. My dad mentioned the same thing, so I will most likely do something different If I decide to keep making these. I have some ideas of what I can do, including gluing a strip across the end with mitered ends.

Bob
Very nice. Seems like she likes it- a lot!