Building Kitchen Cabinets Question
Is there a formula to use to quesstamate how much lumber (ply & solid) is needed. I can sit down and do it cabinet by cabinet. But is there an easier way?
Jim
There probably is, but you may end up short and having to make multiple trips for supplies.

Before I start any project, I have drawings, either from a mag/book or drawn myself. From those, I come up with a Bill of Materials (BOM) and then make up a cut list. If it's my own design, I use Visio to create my cut drawings as I can quickly make a 4' x 8' box (sheet dimensions 1" = 1') and start arranging my pieces. You can do the same thing in Sketchup.
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
I draw out each sheet and run the lengths of all the face frame and door stock.

My most recent kitchen used 6 sheets of plywood for 12 uppers and 14 lowers, 3 sheets of thin for the backs, 3 sheets for the shelving along with around 350 bf of poplar for the faceframes and door stiles.
WoodNET... the new safespace
There are some shortcuts.

All your base cabs will be the same depth as will your wall cabs.

All of the sides will typically be the same for each type as well.

So basically you can quickly figure out how much stock is needed for sides, and you know the depth of the bases/tops, so all you need then is to figure out the running footage of cabinets.

Really, in less then an hour you can figure out how much ply you need.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
I have a sheet optimization program for sheet goods, I know not much help. There are some cheap ones available pus some free on-line ones but have never used the free ones.

Figuring the lumber for face frames, door and drawer front. Take the square foot of the surface area of all you cabinets. The square foot and board ft is the same because were talking 1'' thick material.

The square foot area is the board ft you need + waste. I use rough cut lumber so I add 30 waste. Waste depend on the quality of material you using.

A cabinet 2 feet wide and 3 feet tall would require 6 board ft + 30% for that cabinet.
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK
Oh, if you build your toe kicks separate from the carcass sides you can get three sides out of an 8' ripping of plywood.
WoodNET... the new safespace
Ok. I concede, I'll have to do it the old fashioned way with paper, pencil & a calculator. My learning curve on computer software isn't good. I'm afraid that would take me several years to master sketchup and the like.

Thanks for your responses.
Jim