Rubbing Out that Walnut Slab
It looks great.
Looks great. On a future project I was thinking of using the stone type products (rottenstone, pummice stone, etc). But your technique and results has me questioning my choice.

Anyone ever try the stone products?
wow!
Peter Brown

I can fix that...

shop-time.net
Yes, I once rubbed out a small top with pumice and rottenstone. As I remember it worked fine. I just chose to go closer to the automotive route this time, and use materials compatible with my ROS. I guess I could have used pumice on a foam pad and rottenstone on a Griot's pad, too, or something similar.

Earlier I said the Abralon pads were dead after doing the top. But before throwing them out I decided to wash them by hand in soapy water. Low and behold, they look just about new again. I guess what I thought was worn out abrasive was just finish clogging it up.

For anyone curious, I used my Bosch ROS with the sanding disks, Abralon pads, and rubbing compound pad. The thought of doing 18 sq. feet several times by hand was not at all appealing, and I didn't want to buy a dedicated sander/buffer either. I have to say it worked great. I removed and set aside the dust collector canister, and blew out the sander really well before beginning. The sanding disks had no holes so the vacuum couldn't pick up much of the lubricating water; none blew out the open vacuum port. The Abralon pads are semi porous but they didn't let any water through either. When I was all done, I wiped the rubbing compound spatter off the sander and blew it out again. Looks as good as before.

John
Great job and I also appreciate the detailed explanation.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Did you use a foam interface pad with the abralon? And did you wet sand (if so, with what)? Thanks!
cvillewood said:

Did you use a foam interface pad with the abralon? And did you wet sand (if so, with what)? Thanks!

Abralon (not Abranet) is an abrasive foam pad with a H&L backing, so there's no need to use an interface pad with it. I just put it directly on the soft pad of my Bosch ROS. I did wet sand when I used them. I used plain tap water with a few drops of Palmolive dish detergent. I put it in a spray bottle and misted the surface before starting, and added more if the surface started to get dry. Between grits I wiped the surface clean with a wet sponge, twice, rinsing the sponge in clean water.

John
Great, thanks again for the details. I asked because Charles Neil has a video where he uses Micro Mesh (similar product) and suggests using an interface pad.
I didn't know micro mesh was available in H&L disks until I just looked them up. They look like a great option, especially since it goes all the way up to 12000 grit whereas the Abralon stops at 4000. The micro mesh pads don't look quite as thick as Abralon, so perhaps that's why Charles Neil recommends the interface pad. Thanks.

John
jteneyck said:

I didn't know micro mesh was available in H&L disks until I just looked them up. They look like a great option, especially since it goes all the way up to 12000 grit whereas the Abralon stops at 4000. The micro mesh pads don't look quite as thick as Abralon, so perhaps that's why Charles Neil recommends the interface pad. Thanks.

John

I use the Micromesh pads with a Festool ROS (either Rotex or ETS-150)--you can get an amazing finish with them: it not only looks good but it feels amazing. Sometimes all I do is sand/polish the bare wood to 12000 and then buff in some Renaissance Wax. Of course, that's for items like decorative boxes, not tables or stuff that will take some abuse.
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!" Arthur 'Big Guy' Carlson