Advice on which end to put in to the Nova chuck
I'm turning a mallet out of a Hickory log and am wondering which end I should put into the Nova chuck, the handle (1.25" dia. ) or the striking (3" dia.) end?

I first thought of the striking end but that would leave a deeper cut when I trim it off. Doing the handle would make the cut off easier, but then I have a necked down section with a heavy end hanging in space, even with a cup helping hold it in the tail stock.

What do y'all suggest?

Thanks.

Steve
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
Turn it between centers - problem solved

Twinn
Will post for food.
theeviltwinn said:

Turn it between centers - problem solved

Twinn

^^^^This. It's worked fine for me. Use the spur center in the larger, part down close, then use the flat created by the parting to cut it off. You'll want a way to set it on its head to keep it from getting away.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Another vote for between centers. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to do it that way. Here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS5XoD8D0VI
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
My preference is to put a tenon on it, and turn in a chuck. Make sure to leave enough room for your hand, and to part off what you are not using. I put the head in the chuck. I finish turn down till there is about an inch on the head end, and as close as I can on the handle end. I then take the tail stock off, slow the speed down, and finish turn the butt of the handle, then use a parting tool to cut off the head from the tenon. Saves a bit of chiseling time, and you do have to sand off the top of the head, which you have to do anyway.

robo hippy
Thanks all.

I used robo's method and it worked great. This was the way I was leaning anyway and having him confirm it really helped. The mallet came out great and I had no problems. The only cleanup was chiseling and sanding the nub off the head end.
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper